help a complete linux n00b choose

sboulema

OSNN Veteran Addict
Im a complete linux n00b and i wanna checkout linux, but i havent got a clue at which distro is best to begin with. i already know knoppix, but iw ant a real hdd install linux. raed a bout slackware , but you need to have a floppy drive from which you can boot (for some mysterious reason i cant boot from floppy). also reda about the major distors like suse,mandrake,redhat, but from what i understand you need to downlaod 3 iso :S. i hope you guys can point me to a good distro to start my linux adventrue with :)

Originally posted by sboulema
Im a complete linux n00b and i wanna checkout linux, but i havent got a clue at which distro is best to begin with. i already know knoppix,

i like knoppix :p :cool:

me 2, but i want a real hdd install linux. knoppix is just a boot-cd linux and you cant really install new apps or save your settings easy. hate the stupid settings floppy thing :p

lol fair enough.....i'm not sure which would be better.....
mandrake/red hat?

you shoulda gone with RedHat or SuSE...they are the best installs for newbies...

first off..
You dont need a floppy to boot slackware
You dont need 3 cd's to install ANY linux.

Your best bet is going to be redhat or mandrake, both of which you only need the first cd to actually get it installed and get to a desktop environment. cd's 2 and 3 are usually source packages and developer tools, there may be some packages you need on there, but they are never 100% essential to get a working linux system.

Alot of people seem to want me to switch over to Debian, so I'll suggest that. :)

i downloaded mandrake so im gonna try that first, but i cant do anything with it cause of my problem with my partitions as posted in my other thread. I hope someone can fix it, cause else i cant test linux :(
something is messed up in my partition tabel cause fdisk reads my 2nd partition as 5gb and its 69gb really. but i cant format cause theres to much data one it :( so i hope this can be fized without format or fdisk....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back