Heatttt Issues

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
i've got a ECS LV7MM2 mother board with a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ in there stock amd heatsink

256 ram (registering as 228 NO idea why anyone got ne ideas?)

onboard video sound and lan

for the case setup

power supply fan (everyonez got it)

got one thermaltake everflow 80 mm fan in the front bottem of the case pullin air in

got one in the side panel over the cpu pullin air in

got one at the top of the case between the cd drives and the psu blowing it out

cpu stays at about 50*C idle..is this normal?

just went off opened her up n put some as 3 on there stilll no change

the ram is cos some is dedicated to video

as far as heat goes, i think 50 is a bit high, others will disagree. It could just be inaccuracy in the diode. See what others with the same board get.

and yea the ram...32 mb dedicated to the video forgot bout that lol so yea 224 is right

the temps tho i'd think they should be lower
the temps r read from the bios

i tried mbm buh it din seem to work ..not sure..mayb i set it up wrong..? :confused:

we sell that board at work along with all the other stuff, my personal experence is that the temp you are getting for yourcpu is a little high by like 3deg but other than that the amd 2400 is not known to be a cool chip but along with the stock fan i would sugest to go with a vantec arowflow for amd they are great and light and not expencive, but other than that i dont think it is something to worry about but there is one thing that i have noticed about ecs boards is that they them selves get warm, more than others like DFI and ASUS.

could it be dfi and asus are not reporting the correct temp?

they have a tendency to place the diode in a different area to monitor and this causes the lower temp readings..

still if you have the appropriate cooling in place temps will be within tolerance...

the socket A cpu's generally can handle upto 85C max... but they have no thermal shutoff unlike a64's and intel processors...

we measured the temps with an external monitor, for both asus dfi ecs and MSI, for some reason ECS had really high temps on there south and north bridges and there CPUs were generaly higher but we think it is because of the added heat from the chipset

and waht do you mean by the thermal shutoff???? like when it gets too hot the computer shuts down or for more heat the processer slows down to cut the heat away like mobile processers or????

the ecs board had a feature where you can set it to turn off
60*C
65*C
and 70*C

but i think these temps are a little high still..cpu isn't o/c'd...and theyre still around 47-50 *C...do you think i need a better heatsink?...
i mean i got pretty good circulation i wud think...
fan at the front bottom of the case sucking in
fan on the side panel over the cpu sucking in (heatsink fan is sucking onto the heatsink)
and a fan between the drives and psu at the top of the case pullin out
along with the 1 fan in the psu
got no place to put a fan on the back case doesn't have the design spec for that..

Gary Pandher said:
the ecs board had a feature where you can set it to turn off
60*C
65*C
and 70*C

but i think these temps are a little high still..cpu isn't o/c'd...and theyre still around 47-50 *C...do you think i need a better heatsink?...
i mean i got pretty good circulation i wud think...
fan at the front bottom of the case sucking in
fan on the side panel over the cpu sucking in (heatsink fan is sucking onto the heatsink)
and a fan between the drives and psu at the top of the case pullin out
along with the 1 fan in the psu
got no place to put a fan on the back case doesn't have the design spec for that..
Sounds like you're just circulating warm air around the inside of your case. :p

her'es the case setup...is it really just circulating inside????

Attachments

• case.JPG
    case.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 106
well whats happening is that the air that is coming in thru the bottom right hand side is beiong warmed first by the hard drive(s)...you should really have an intake fan (or 2) on the back of the case (left hand in your drawing), so that the cpu gets nice cool fresh air. All imo anyway. I have a 2100+ OC to 2.2ghz constant running @ no more than 40C degrees on top load. I have 2 intakes and 3 exhausts.

Bootsy said:
well whats happening is that the air that is coming in thru the bottom right hand side is beiong warmed first by the hard drive(s)...you should really have an intake fan (or 2) on the back of the case (left hand in your drawing), so that the cpu gets nice cool fresh air. All imo anyway. I have a 2100+ OC to 2.2ghz constant running @ no more than 40C degrees on top load. I have 2 intakes and 3 exhausts.

4/5 people would disagree with the intake fan at the back because it'll only prevent the heat from getting out of the casing. It's only going to push the heat towards the drives which could be of a risk.

Gary Pandher said:
fresh cool air is gettin to the cpu from the side panel fan...still a problem?..
Although you think it's better for cooling the cpu, you haven't thought about the consequences of pushing heat to other areas inside the pc, especially in areas where there very little ventilation... (i.e. disk drives)
Having intake fans at the back, side and bottom front will only push the heat round and round the inside instead of getting rid of the heat.

Question: How did you mount HSF? With just the pad or with some thermal compound? If it was just the pad, try some Arctic Silver 3/5.

got AS 3 in there..lookin to get AS 5 hopefully ...and as for pushin heat around..heat rises..so the fan at the top of the case..its exhaust..does that not help take the heat out?...therez the regular psu and another exhaust on the top

it used to be a pad..took that off and put on the AS 3 ..did help a little..but not as much as i thought it would

ming said:
4/5 people would disagree with the intake fan at the back because it'll only prevent the heat from getting out of the casing. It's only going to push the heat towards the drives which could be of a risk.

Well Ive tried this the other way, having the exhausts in the back, but this adds on about 4-5 degrees. I also have 2 hard drives and the heat doesnt bother them too much. If the heat gets to be too much for the hd, you could always use hard drive coolers. To each his own I guess, environmental variables play a role too...ie where is the freshest air?...

Gary, bottom line: you need a better heatsink. I got a thermaltake volcano 7+ and it works well...it is a bit louder than the stock btw.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back