Heatsinks/Fans

Kendrilanthis

OSNN Junior Addict
Hey there, I am looking to get a new heatsink/fan combo for my Barton 2500+ system and want something that will perform well but will be quieter than my Volcano 9.....was looking at the A1889-01 Silent Boost from Thermaltake but I have no idea on it's real world heat dissipation at max speed.....

If anyone can show me some comparisons or a good review site for many different setups I would appreciate it....also any suggestions for good cooler systems with a lower dB value are appreciated.

my advice is the Gigabyte 3D cooler Pro. Ive read it in magazines and heard of all good reviews. Even the price is affordable. Here is a test on thermal resistance with a stock cooler. CLearly the 3d cooler pro is better. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040212/gigabyte_3d_cooler-04.html
and to see what awards it has won, http://uk.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/News/News_List.htm <-- that just saysit for itself

If u want to go for a fanless solution, i recommend the zalman CNPS http://www.zalman.co.kr/. they sell low sound but good thermal resistance.

The 3D Cooler is no good. It only performs [better than the stock fan] when the fan is at max rpm. The tomshardware review reads 63.6dB @ 4000rpm.
Certainly not a good performing HSF.

Anywho, my recommendation is to get a top quality heatsink. In my experence, almost any old fan will do, uncrank the rpm to minimum, and you have quiet and good cooling.
You should look at getting something like this.

the sp97 is a good hs but it doesnt come with a fan. The 3d Coller pro is much better then stock. Well depending on if u want to overclock it or not, i dont see why the 3d cooler pro would be a miss. plus its cheap. just set it to low and your fine.

also try that zalman cnps 6000Cu which is what i got on my rig. all it has as fan is a 92mm fan that turns at a quite 21db....talk bout silent

In common with others on this forum...... I use Coolermaster Aero 7 with a Barton 2800.
Noise level reasonable and temps 35 and 38, as against 46 and 52 previously.

Coolermaster's Aero 7 series is pretty darn good. My cousin has one, the size of it scares you at first, but the fan speed adjuster is a useful addition.

If you don't care about the noise, I'd recommend a swiftech heatsink/fan :)

Coolermaster's Areo range are noisy for the performance you get from them, the difference is tiny unles you have simular quite parts. I would strongly recommend getting a zalman CNPS 7000 range, they are quieter and out perform the coolermaster (in terms of noise) and it keeps my barton 2500+ running @ 3200+ speeds at around 32 DEG C

After reading various reviews and whatnot I went with the A1889-01 Silent Boost from Thermaltake for all of 32 bucks Canadian

Well, got the new stuff last night and after installing everythign (damn that heatsink clip was tight, pain to install) I fired it all up and ran it for a bit.....went from being able to hear my computer in the living room (30 ft away through walls and corners) to not being able to hear my computer at all when sitting on my bed 3 ft away! Woot! Not only that buy before installing the new heatsink/fan my cpu/system temps were 45 Degrees C and 50 Degrees C under idle and 51/56 under full load.....now they are 31/33 idle and 35/38 full load! MASSIVE difference, both in terms of noise and temperatures. I am completely surprised and impressed with this Silent Boost and would recommend it immensely!

Glad you're happy with the new heatsink. I've never tried Thermaltake's hardware before than the towers, but I'm glad it works well for you

I hate clips. I bought a Swiftech MCX462+ heatsink a year ago, *because* I could screw it into the motherboard. I certainly have no complaints.

Melon

I have a silent boost as well, but my cpu/system temps are around 59/30. I think I may have to reapply the thermal compound seeing as when I installed it, the temps were much lower. And yes, the clip is a pain.

Hmm, I've actually noticed my temps steadily increasing as well. May just be that the ambient temp has been 10-12 degrees higher than normal tho. Not sure, first time using Arctic Silver Ceramique.

Kendrilanthis said:
Hmm, I've actually noticed my temps steadily increasing as well. May just be that the ambient temp has been 10-12 degrees higher than normal tho. Not sure, first time using Arctic Silver Ceramique.
ASC takes a while to set (something like 100 hours). I am using it myself for the first time. It seems to do a good job, but I am not really seeing any real temp difference between AS3 and the ASC. But I figured I would write a review after I do a good cleaning of everything again in a few days.

Heatsink/Fans

Hi

I'm very new to AMD Processor Scene still, and installing heatsinks I do not want to attempt, so afriad I will kill my processor really good if I was to attempt it.
Do you guys do your new heatsink/fan installs with the motherboard in the case, our out of it? I heard it's very very hard and risky to install one due to fragile AMD chips.

But I guess I'll go for a rear exhaust fan soon, (soon as shop has one that will fit)

bikeman said:
Hi

I'm very new to AMD Processor Scene still, and installing heatsinks I do not want to attempt, so afriad I will kill my processor really good if I was to attempt it.
Do you guys do your new heatsink/fan installs with the motherboard in the case, our out of it? I heard it's very very hard and risky to install one due to fragile AMD chips.

But I guess I'll go for a rear exhaust fan soon, (soon as shop has one that will fit)
I do mine on a flat surface. ie. out of the case so that the board doesn't bend.

uuh... i don't think you'd have to worry about breaking a cpu when installing a heatsink fan. for one it's pretty much sitting in a flat surface, and i think that if a heatsink fan DID damage a CPU when someone tried installing it, the company that made the heatsink fan would have gotten a LOT of complaints. As for installing inside or outside case.... it's mostly just personal preference/how much room you have to work with. If you're using a mini tower or something where you're lucky to be able to connect everything while still keeping some airflow, then it probably would be a bit easier to remove some stuff from the case (such as maybe removing the power supply depending on where it is to give more room to move, or even removing the motherboard as well so that you have your entire room to move in). If you're using something like a server case, then you should have quite enough room to be able to swap a heatsink fan kinda easily.

Heatsink/Fans

Hi

Well I don't think I'll attempt changing my heatsink, since (AM not good with hardware at all, I'd never get the motherboard back in the case if I removed it) iT's a mid tower case, with only one more fan spot remaining, then it's full to the brim(almost minus one 3 1/2 inch internal bay left) Supposely shop says they can get a fan in the rear spot when they have one..otherwise I'm gonna have to go with new case, since they said it's not an 80mm spot in the rear of my case

pics of case are here

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~bikemano4/PC Pics.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back