Heatsink question(s)

David_L6

OSNN Addict
As I understand the way heatpipes work, they should be positioned vertically. However, almost all heatsinks with heatpipes have the heatpipes positioned horizontally once the heatsink is installed. What gives???

Also, does anyone have any idea who builds the heatsink in the pictures below for Dell?

well in that case the pipes suck the heat up to the heat sink which in turn sucks all the heat away so the position of the heat sink's blade doesn't matter as long as it sucks all the heat up, and for the models www.thermaltake.com does similar heatsinks, but bigger and some with fans

FishBoy said:
well in that case the pipes suck the heat up to the heat sink which in turn sucks all the heat away so the position of the heat sink's blade doesn't matter as long as it sucks all the heat up, and for the models www.thermaltake.com does similar heatsinks, but bigger and some with fans

?????? The pipes have some kind of liquid that turns to gas (and "sucks the heat up to the heatsink"), then cools and condenses back to liquid and drains back. In a vertical position that easy enough to visualize.... If the pipes are horizontal it appears to me that the liquid is just going to lay on the bottom of the pipes and not be in contact with the base of the heatsink to start with and not going to drain back to the heatsink after (if) turning to gas..... Just doesn't make sense to me with the pipes in a horizontal position....

David_L6 said:
?????? The pipes have some kind of liquid that turns to gas (and "sucks the heat up to the heatsink"), then cools and condenses back to liquid and drains back. In a vertical position that easy enough to visualize.... If the pipes are horizontal it appears to me that the liquid is just going to lay on the bottom of the pipes and not be in contact with the base of the heatsink to start with and not going to drain back to the heatsink after (if) turning to gas..... Just doesn't make sense to me with the pipes in a horizontal position....
AAAA im confused... what liquid and gas :S:S

I guess they quit teaching physics in high school huh?

Heat conducts in any direction. Energetic atoms (hot) bounce into the ones next to them and impart their energy (heat) and so on down the line. The fluid inside the heat pipes is just more efficient at this than a metal heat sink.

Yes, the heatpipe will be a little more efficient if the hot part is at the bottom. Also, for best efficiency, the fins should be vertical if free convection cooled, not horizontal as in the photos. If the fins are forced convection cooled (fan) then orientation is less important.

oh cool i never knew the pipes had liquid in the i thought they were just sitting there

LeeJend said:
I guess they quit teaching physics in high school huh?

Heat conducts in any direction. Energetic atoms (hot) bounce into the ones next to them and impart their energy (heat) and so on down the line. The fluid inside the heat pipes is just more efficient at this than a metal heat sink.

Yes, the heatpipe will be a little more efficient if the hot part is at the bottom. Also, for best efficiency, the fins should be vertical if free convection cooled, not horizontal as in the photos. If the fins are forced convection cooled (fan) then orientation is less important.

this guy is correct too :) but speaking for something so small i hardly doubt there would be much if any noticeable difference in its performance no matter which way you mount it as long as the fins/pipes have an adequate amount of air circulation to aid in cooling and condensing the gas back to liquid. just remember a basic rule ..heat rises cool sinks.

Yeah heatpipes work any way around. The force of gravity is too small in comparisson with other forces at work inside the heat pipe.

trainmaster77 said:
just remember a basic rule ..heat rises cool sinks.

That's my point.... Once most of the heatsinks with heatpipes are installed, up is across the diameter of the heatpipe not down the length of it. Just looks to me like the the motherboard would have to be in the bottom of the computer (laying horizontally) for a heatpipe heatsink to work the way it's supposed to.

Side note to trainmaster77: I have a friend that's a conductor for KCS. Hope your schedule isn't as messed up as his sometimes is. Right now it isn't too bad if you can deal with working straight nights. He's on a local running Mon. - Fri., but has been on jobs that seemed to be on call all the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back