Heat spreaders & DDR Ram???

B

busto

Do heat spreaders really do anything positive for DDR Ram or can you go without them??

I would say not.

Actual RAM Sinks/heat spreaders/whatever you want to call them, I don't believe they do much.

If it's a heatspreader/fan combo, it might help cool it down, that's what I do, I have 2 little fans blowing cool air onto my ram :)

Originally posted by Nick M
I would say not.

Actual RAM Sinks/heat spreaders/whatever you want to call them, I don't believe they do much.

If it's a heatspreader/fan combo, it might help cool it down, that's what I do, I have 2 little fans blowing cool air onto my ram :)

well I dunno...

I use heat spreaders on my ram and basically it helps dissipate the heat from the ram better..

what this means is you have slightly more oc'ing headroom if you wish...

I personally use it to prolong the life of the memory I have...

But, if you do not overclock, do you really need it?

I don't, and I still like to cool my ram, because I'm hooked on cooling everything inside my computer, down to the optical drives ( don't ask, I'm crazy )

if you were running ddr400 (pc3200), then i'd say heat spreaders are a good idea... but probably not necessary. i know they're not necessary with pc2700.

Agreed. Taking into account that there are different kinds of RAM...

I have pc2700...if running anything faster...if it feels warm, cool it down :)

nevermind....forgot i have heat spreaders as well....

just curious, but why do you have pc3500 on a kt333 mobo?

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
upgradin very slowly.....lol
:D
icon14.gif

on rambus 600, 800 it is mandatory as they run so fast they put of heat....... they come with heatsinks on them out of the box........... all semiconductors run better when they are cooler.....

heat sink gives more surface area to spread heat...... they work as a wick. you remember science class....heat travels from hot to cold so the heat sink, the further the fins get from heat the cooler they are so it continues to wick the heat away from the source.

heat......bad cool...... good :D

OK now to twist you noodle.......... ice does not cool a drink but instead removes the heat from it to melt it.......

did i confuse the simple folk? :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

anyway.......

Originally posted by taurus
if you were running ddr400 (pc3200), then i'd say heat spreaders are a good idea... but probably not necessary. i know they're not necessary with pc2700.

like I said... I personally use em to prolong the life of my memory...

if I can cool the memory a bit there is no real problems is there :)

the copper heat spreaders are warm to the touch so the coolers are doing their job obviously :)

Originally posted by spikemic
on rambus 600, 800 it is mandatory as they run so fast they put of heat....... they come with heatsinks on them out of the box........... all semiconductors run better when they are cooler.....

heat sink gives more surface area to spread heat...... they work as a wick. you remember science class....heat travels from hot to cold so the heat sink, the further the fins get from heat the cooler they are so it continues to wick the heat away from the source.

heat......bad cool...... good :D

OK now to twist you noodle.......... ice does not cool a drink but instead removes the heat from it to melt it.......

did i confuse the simple folk? :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

anyway.......

damn now I wish I had gotten some vodka with my heat spreaders...

I know that all corsair brand ddr ram over pc3200 come with heatspreaders stock. IMO the heatspreader gives the ram a sleek, uniform look.

Originally posted by Pythro
I know that all corsair brand ddr ram over pc3200 come with heatspreaders stock. IMO the heatspreader gives the ram a sleek, uniform look.

sure as hell does look good...

my spreaders are all copper/blue... matching my volcano fan and my cables inside my rig :)

also help dissipate heat well... so I don't have to worry about them having probs when the temp goes up in tampa :)

When I put my rig together I really wanted those cool blue Thermaltake Heat Spreaders to match my setup:cool:

Crucial says NO, to heat spreaders and using them will Void the Warrany(not that it matters) but I didn't want to damage the PC 2700(too expensive).

Some say it restricts airflow to the chips....so I dunno, am I risking damaging the DDR if I use the Heat Spreaders?

I don't, and I still like to cool my ram, because I'm hooked on cooling everything inside my computer, down to the optical drives ( don't ask, I'm crazy )

hahhahah soo do the lights on the drives blink in binary and does the noise of the fans talk to you ..

besides that i'd like to know more of this optical drive cooling...

On the cooling subject... I saw some article about putting a fan into a mouse to keep your hand cool. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

Please??

Cheers!

Originally posted by -[xs]-mirage
I saw some article about putting a fan into a mouse to keep your hand cool. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?
please tell me you're joking... right? :huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back