Heat Sink???

NightHawk_450

OSNN Addict
I can't get my damn heatsink off my cpu.....I just bought a new one....Does anyone know what is the proper tool to do it with??? All I am using is a screw driver without a bit....I can put it on ok (Liek I did 2 months ago) But I can't take it off.....could someone help :(

Is it the clip that holds the Heat Sink or the Heat Sink itself that is stuck on the CPU?

Some of the standard clips on the OEM Heat Sinks and some After Market ones as well are a pain to remove. Be careful not to damage the CPU.

You may need a tool that looks like a Screw Driver but the tip (about an inch of it) has a right angle bend to it so you can hook it under the locking portion of the clip (Side edge of the CPU Socket).

If you have an old Ice Pick handy, carefully bend the tip to a right angle (about an inch to an inch and a half [1"-1 1/2"]). Don't break it. While you are squeezing the clips on the Heat sink use the tool you have engineered :rolleyes: on the lower edges of the clips to pop them off.

Good Luck. :D

Image1.gif

The clip holds the hsf to the CPU....I press down and try to bring it up, but it doesnt'.....I find that if I were to push anyharder I would crack the board......I guess I should just take it to a tech, and let him break it

use a flat head screw driver
pus the clip down with ur finger
and pull the clip away from the socket with the screw driver

Yes Use a flat head screwdriver push down and away from cpu.

yup!!!! I am going to try it now!!! thanks!!!!! I will remeber to watch out for the board!!!! later

Worked excellent!!! Thanks guys!!! I think I am going to get some Silver compound, and see if that makes a diff......system is now at 45 degrees!!! yeah.......10 degrees lower then it was............But now I have a heatsink and fan just sitting here............Any suggestions to what you would do with it???? A good play to put it (if any) Or a good place to use the fan!!!! Thanks guys/gals!!!!!!!!!

Use it as A intake or exhaust in your case.....SHould help with airflow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back