Headless XP?

J

jmccade

Is there a way to run WinXP without a monitor?

I am trying to connect 2 XP boxes by network cards using only one monitor. Everything works great until I reboot the machine with the monitor. Upon reboot I can no longer reconnect to the drives on the headless box. Any suggestions?

I am using a Dell Optiplex GX110 for both boxes and there are no BIOS switches for disabling monitor/video.

You need a multi switch, (takes one input (monitor) and has multiple outputs)
althought I have many times turned on a computer without a monitor

PLease don't post the same questin on multiple forums

Welcome to XP-erinece jmccade! Please only post your questions once. Your other post has been deleted as it's a dup :)

Sorry about that!

Is there no way to use the second box without a monitor at all? I know Win 2000 server has the ability to run without a monitor. And I thought I read that Win XP had the ability also, but it did not say how.

It may be somthing to do with dell, as I have ran 9x and xp machines without monitors

What you need is a KVM switch.

KVM = Keyboard, video, monitor

Click here for a good link and prices on KVM Switches.

If you do not want to drop the money for a switch, then check your bois. I know there is an option there for not having a mouse and keyboard attached, not sure about monitor.

kvm will do, some computers bios need to see a monitor on boot or will get upset. i have booted many without also intel boards seem to do fine.
boot it with a monitor then unplug after its running............

there is something with the embedded version of xp to run and make headless for building network devices, same for 2000. .net servers will have it i believe..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back