HDTV question.

iceman7311

OSNN Senior Addict
can someone explain this to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

wikipedia defines 1080i as a interlaced HDTV format with 1080 vertical pixels and 1920 horizontal pixels to to form a 16:9 screen ratio.

well that is all good and what not, but when i go to the popular electronics website you all may know as "the egg", click on a random advertised 1080i HDTV and i notice it has no where near 1080x1920 resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824206055

can someone explain this to me?

Most TV's, as far as I am aware, can't hit 1920x1080. They will probably downscale it into a resolution that is still above DVD, but not true 1080p. Then again I could be wrong.

If you want a TV that can hit 1920x1080, expect to pay at least 1000$ more for it over a standard HDTV.

Example:

Samsung HL-R6167W - 1280 x 720
Samsung HL-R6168W - 1920 x 1080

you'll also note that it says "recommended resolution" of 1280x720 (this is actually the 720p signal). It is *probably* capable of pushing a 1080i signal, it's just the recommended resolution is the 720p setting.

but, as mentioned, true HD standard resolution (ie: if you were to go for an HD-DVD or blueray) would start with a 1080p signal.

edit: This link is a little outdated, but it does describe some of the differences between 1080i and 720p signals and resolutions. It doesn't go into 1080p since at the time the article was written (Jan of 2005) there weren't that many consumer level devices that could do 1080p sucessfully.

At the moment, I dont think ANY retailers can show their demo TVs in the theoretical 1920x1080 resolution as their TV sets are connected either via RF aerial or component leads (well they are in my store). Secondly, it might be that they're simulating the pictures from a server like we are in our store as there are no HD broadcast freely available without special subscriptions AND HD receivers.

You think sky would let shops have a free "demo" channel to help them plug HD. Would help the uptake!

Well HD-DVD and BluRay are available if shops wish to preview true HiDef quality images.

Also, freeview will soon (soon? eventually? next decade? :p) be adding hidef channels to it's line up, and most new TV's have integrated digital receivers to show it off :)

Well HD-DVD and BluRay are available if shops wish to preview true HiDef quality images.

Also, freeview will soon (soon? eventually? next decade? :p) be adding hidef channels to it's line up, and most new TV's have integrated digital receivers to show it off :)

lol... UK gov won't switch off analogue signal til around 2012.

Telewest are already broadcasting world cup games in HD, the BBC ran a trial with one game, and will be broadcasting the final in HD... apparently.

It shouldn't be too long before we get HD available to us.

depending where you live in the US, you can pull 1080i and/or 720p broadcasts over the air with a good antenna for free

but the question still stands, does that tv physically have 1920x1080 pixels?

I personally think LCD TVs currently can't reach that sort of resolution... in fact, I think the current resolution for a normal TV broadcast is between 800x640 or 1024x768 - might be wrong on that.
But can PC 20" TFTs can reach 1920x1600? :)

No, almost all do not. All the TVs on the egg are 1366 or 1280 (or even less).

They display 1920 by extrapolating (engineer speak for make a wild ass guess at it). That makes for a smeared display.

HDTV is an advertising slogan to the TV industry. Anything over 512x256 interlaced (old TV standard) is technically high definition so they adlib with no fear of litigation.

What you want is a display with the same native resolution as the broadcast (or DVD signal). If you don't get native resolution matched smearing is a very real possibility. Wait for HDTV to mature before spending any bucks on it. That could take another 4 years.

thanks lee

i was l\just looking st getting a new relativly cheap crt tv and i found that you could get them in hd. so i thought i might as well get a hd tv like the one below. what do you guys think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat31800050031&id=1142301397397

edit: what do you think the max res. is for this tv?

You might want to get one that has either HDMI or dvi inputs, although these are not fully utilized right now they have the bandwidth to grow with the HD curve. Not having these on a tv will limit your future HD whether on Blu-ray or HD-dvd.

on the rca is says it has 1080 vertical scanning lines so doesn't it have to have 1920 horizontal scanning lines so is would have a resolution of 1080x1920?

ROFLMFAO. Ok, so I'm reading up on the RCA to see if it actually does 1920x1080 (I never found a positive answer, the manual only talks about the HDTV standard, not what the TV actually does). The egg lsiting says HDTV compatible but lists a lower actual pixel size. It must be processing the 1920 into the 1280 the screen displays.

BUT, Walmart lists the TV for $894 vs the $1199 at the egg.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3757031

You'll save a bundle on shipping the 155 lbs TV too.

that is way out of my pricew range a am looking at a tv that 500 would be the max.

edit: also in the specs for the rca it says its max resolution is 1080i. for whatever thats worth. i have a feeling the only way to know for sure would be to buy the tv and try it out :(

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back