HDTV-DVI Protocol Interpretation

ignipotentis

OSNN Addict
I have recently been looking into getting a Sony 50" Grand Wega. However, the one thing that deters me is the lack of obvious PC support. I would like to use the TV as a moniter for a living room PC as well as a TV.

So I set off to do some investigation. I came across the ATI Component Adapters and then came across the reviews stating their overscan problems.

Next I decided to check out the details on DVI (http://www.proxima.com/downloads/pdf/DVI-WhitePaper.pdf & http://www.digital-cp.com/data/HDCP10.pdf) and i've become rather confused.

From what I gather, HDTV-DVI is nothing but DVI-D + HDCP. Now, being DVI-D, it can accept a signal from any DVI-I video card as long as a DVI-D male to male cable is used. Where i become confused is in the HDCP protocol. The way I read it, The Host (My Computer) in this case, initiates the Authenticity Check whenver it wants. If it doesn't recieve a valid reply, it can stop the stream. However, Nothing is stated (that i can see) as to what would happen if no check was ever performed. If the Client (the TV) just continues to display what it recieves, then all is good. If it does not, then i guess i'm back to the drawing board looking for other TVs.

My question to the NTFS Community is that of the protocol. I've emailed info@digital-cp.com only to recieve the following message: Thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office. For HDCP issues, you may wish to contact the administrative agency for Digital Content Protection LLC via info@digital-cp.com.

I'm hoping that someone a bit more technically savy then myself can interpret the HDCP protocol better than I have been able to.

bump

:huh: I'm kind of hoping that bumbing this back up will help more people see it and maybe answer it... or at least attempt to answer it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back