Hdd S.m.a.r.t

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
OK, I read somewhere this is supposed to help with early detection of possible harddrive problems. Right now, I have it disabled, but will there be a preformance hit if I enable it in BIOS?

The reason why I ask is lately I've heard quite a few people say they've had troubles with IBM drives. I, unfortunately, own one of those, and it is home to all 3 OS's on this PC (win98, XP, Linux).

unless every millisecond matters to you the performance hit is negligable so turn it on. ive got two ibm drives one which did develop errors but after getting the tools from the ibm web site is now running like its brand new

More info for you..

The S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring Analysis And Reporting) technology is supported by all current hard disks and it allows the early prediction and warning of impending hard disk disasters. You can enable it if you are using S.M.A.R.T. aware utilities to monitor the hard disk's condition. Enabling it also allows the monitoring of the hard disk's condition over a network.

However, there's a possibility that enabling S.M.A.R.T. may cause spontaneous reboots in networked computers. a friend of mine mentioned such an experience with S.M.A.R.T. enabled. S.M.A.R.T. may be sending packets of data through the network even though there's nothing monitoring those data packets. This may have caused the spontaneous reboots that he had experienced So, try disabling HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability if you experience reboots or crashes while you are on a network.

For most users, the S.M.A.R.T. capability isn't really useful or necessary. In fact, all the constant S.M.A.R.T. traffic eats up some bandwidth. So, if you don't use S.M.A.R.T. aware utilities or don't need that level of real-time reporting, disable it for better system performance.

Thanks guys.

Turns out I don't have the problematic IBM model series. I've had the drive for about 1.5 years (i think) and havent a problem with it yet. I bought it because I read in a few places that it had very good performance and *ahem* reliability.

So, really, its probably not worth the effort to use it? I do regular backups so losing data isnt that important, mostly just the irritance factor. Besides, I don't know if I have SMART aware software.

uhh hem

CAN YOU SAY MAXTOR? unbeatable in reliability and performance
paired up to other brands of equal rpm , ect....i dont recall hearing anyone complain about there maxtors.....lol:)

um my maxtor drive failed after being used for 2 weeks and it was fresh out of the box heh. When I called support for an RMA and told the lady that even she was surprised :p

haha

yea well that happens now and then, with all hardware...im willing to bet it was jacked in the shpping to tha store, retailers
use way too many magnets if you ask me.lol and some idiots
order shippments of speakers and hds thinkin ups is gonna give a crap, loloolol not , thell set that hd right on that big ass speaker box......lololool

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back