HDD partitioning, and choices etc...

Abbadon2001

OSNN Addict
Ok im pondering whether to bother transfering my system/starting again on my new 200gig sata drive, or to just use my ide drive as boot drive as it is and use sata as my storage drive,
Also i have been reading this site : http://www.zapwizard.com/ and want to know what peoples opinions are of the hard drive partioning article in the guides section.... Does anyone have experience of this type of idea for keeping the system clean and defragged?

cheers

Andy

It might help if you post a link directly to the article in question. Sorry takes too long to sort through a full website for the info you would like comment on.

he suggests putting programs on a differant partition then the os.

this probably presents a performance liability.

personally, I think if you're going to partition, put os, program files and games on the same relatively small partition, leave room for defrag and growth...you want your often accessed files as close to the os as possible...put this partition towards the front of the disc.

NOT AT THE FRONT OF THE DISC, as most folk lore usually advises;... drive software in modern cases will slow the arm down in the outer edges so it doesn't hit the limit stops, cause hitting those is a vewwy vewwy baad thing...I'd say 5-10% in.

anything else, I'll leave to everyone else, since I don't partition.

have fun

Perris is correct.

For the best performance use the sata disk. Use your IDE for storage, and keep the swap file on the same partition that your OS and programs are on.

I would run a clean install, if that isn't feasable then try Ghost or another partition cloning program.

Ok all thats sounds fair enough, couple of ques tho - how do i go about making my system partition not being at the front of the disc?

Also - if i use the sata drive as my syste/storage drive - but i play all my music and videos from the id drive - will this give me any sort of performance hit? My ide drive is now actually on the sata chain as i bought one of those useful little converter cards. I have a 3rd old 40 gig drive still on the ide - was thinking of sticking my page file on that by itself - would this give me any sort of performance hit/gain. I know opinions are split on this point!

Lastly - my 12ogig drive is a maxtor 7200rpm 8 meg cache jobbie - will it actually be any slower than the 200gig 7200rpm 8 meg western digital sata drive - if they are both on the sata setup?

thanks in advance

Andy

Better use only the SATA as you OS HDD.I'm having a SATA Maxtor 200GB and I'm having a 20GB WD IDE for my Longhorn OS only.SATA, since is using the whole bandwidth of the cable will be faster from an IDE at the same speed using part of the cable/bandwidth, since it will have to share it with something else.Also the announced spped for SATA is 150Kbps, when IDE has only 133Kbps.Except if you have on IDE1 for example only the IDE HDD you have.Also dont put your swap file in a other place than the OS HDD, as it will slow it up.There is only one case, if you use a different HDD, at the same speed of the OS HDD to have slightly better results.But again we are speaking for msec not even seconds.:D

ok, well as i understood it - there arent many sata drives that actually exceed the 133 data rate yet - only the raptors and some other faster drives do? Also, the 2 drives , the 200 gig sata and the 120 gig ide-converted to sata, are on the 2 separate sata lines - so how can they slow one another down? Confused!

Abbadon2001 said:
ok, well as i understood it - there arent many sata drives that actually exceed the 133 data rate yet - only the raptors and some other faster drives do? Also, the 2 drives , the 200 gig sata and the 120 gig ide-converted to sata, are on the 2 separate sata lines - so how can they slow one another down? Confused!
Since you have the 2 drives in seperatly sata connections, your HDD work with the max bandwidth.The raptors are faster because they spin at 10000, when all the other HDD (SATA or IDE) spin at 7000.In that case you can keep the drives as they are, but put the swap file at the OS HDD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back