HDD Dead, any help

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey,
Last night, my 300gb Seagate SATA HDD died, its a physical failure, as it was making aweful noises when I came down to my computer this morning, now for some reason, I can't even get on the computer, using the 100gb HDD that the OS was on...
Is there anything I can do short of taking the drive apart, to get the data off, also is there a way to hook the 100gb SATA HDD up to a computer via USB?

I called Seagate and they quoted me $700-1900 dollars to pull the information off the drive, thanks but no thanks.

Anyways,
Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Jack

i had something like that with one of my drives, clicking like mad it was, remove it from the pc and leave it for an hour, pref somewhere where there is no static, this also allows it to cool down, after an hour or two put it back in the pc and see if it will boot if it does, boot into recovery console and do chkdsk x: /r /p (think its p) x being the drive in question, this should mark any bad blocks.

After it is done see if windows will boot, if it does get what you can from it, then do a low level format on the drive and check for bad blocks using seagate tools. Do the same under windows when you format it.

Or once you have what you want from it you can toss the drive away and get a new one

i had something like that with one of my drives, clicking like mad it was, remove it from the pc and leave it for an hour, pref somewhere where there is no static, this also allows it to cool down, after an hour or two put it back in the pc and see if it will boot if it does, boot into recovery console and do chkdsk x: /r /p (think its p) x being the drive in question, this should mark any bad blocks.

After it is done see if windows will boot, if it does get what you can from it, then do a low level format on the drive and check for bad blocks using seagate tools. Do the same under windows when you format it.

Or once you have what you want from it you can toss the drive away and get a new one
thanks a lot, the drive is out as we speak.

thanks a lot, the drive is out as we speak.
if it's a physical failure and you can get it to run at all get the information before you try to do a software fix...you have no idea how many minutes are left on it, once it cools down and you think you are ready to give it a shot, mount the drive, go straight to your most important files and copy them to a new drive, then go to the next important and so on

after you have everything that's vital if it's still running, then do the software fixes, then ghost the drive

plan your excavation before you mount the drive, if there are emails you want, have the path ready to go, an installer file, have that path ready, your passwords, same thing

have all the paths pasted in a notepad so you can cut and paste in sequence without having to navigate through the drive

Also may try putting it in the freezer - still does work from time to time :)

Also may try putting it in the freezer - still does work from time to time :)
Hmm, well I tried cooling it down.
Haven't tried the freezer but it has been out of the computer for 2 days now.
I purchased a USB - SATA connector so I could test it on my laptop, The 100gb works, the 400gb does not.
:(
Purchased a 320gb sata 300 to replace the 300gb sata that died

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back