HDD Clicking

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hi,
What I assume to be my HDD is clicking.
When my pc is idle there is a clicking coming from what I believe to be the HDD.
Currently I am running Vista Ultimate, but it clicks in XP too.
As soon as i come back to the PC is stops...
Any Help?
Thanks,
Jack

I have two SATA drives not more than a year and a half old.

Clicking from the HDD usually means the HDD is failing.

Western Digital HD's click more than any other drive ever, and fail faster and harder as well. Seems a lot of people have been having their SATA WD's die. A company I work for in the last month has had to replace over 600 WD drives because they failed. Machines are not older than 3 months.

Get a recording of the clicking sound. It may just be thermal recalibration of the heads or the vista indexing service chugging away.

As a side note. Stick with seagate or hitatchi for disks. Avoid WD and Maxtor (though it'll be interesting to see if seagate fix maxtors failure rate.

Samsung and Fujitsu make good quite drives if you prefer quiet and cool over raw datashifting ability.

Get a recording of the clicking sound. It may just be thermal recalibration of the heads or the vista indexing service chugging away.

As a side note. Stick with seagate or hitatchi for disks. Avoid WD and Maxtor (though it'll be interesting to see if seagate fix maxtors failure rate.

Samsung and Fujitsu make good quite drives if you prefer quiet and cool over raw datashifting ability.
Hehe,
I never said I had a WD lol
I have a 100gb Maxtor(Which Vista is on)
And i guess a 400gb Seagat

The clicking wouldn't be from a cooling fan would it? Just a thought.

Don't believe so.
I think i got it to stop.
It only clicks sometimes now, as before it was clicking normally.
I had to install a maxtor program to fix it.
Thanks for the help.
If it comes back, I won't hesitate to ask :p

I would still do a backup of any important data you have on the drive. You never know with these things. You could have a catastrophic failure with no additional warning.

Maxtor drives automatically seek out errors and correct them on the fly during non use periods.

I have Maxtors in all my stuff, personal and business, and have had one drive fail due to power surges that were recurring from bad wiring, and a bad connection. It also took out a graphics card, the firmware of our sonicwall firewall, and a printer. They RMA'd the drive. The drives ran non stop for 3 years and the one left became part of a RAID5 array and performs well.

Maxtor drives automatically seek out errors and correct them on the fly during non use periods.

I have Maxtors in all my stuff, personal and business, and have had one drive fail due to power surges that were recurring from bad wiring, and a bad connection. It also took out a graphics card, the firmware of our sonicwall firewall, and a printer. They RMA'd the drive. The drives ran non stop for 3 years and the one left became part of a RAID5 array and performs well.
Cool.

Hi,
What I assume to be my HDD is clicking.
When my pc is idle there is a clicking coming from what I believe to be the HDD.
Currently I am running Vista Ultimate, but it clicks in XP too.
As soon as i come back to the PC is stops...
Any Help?
Thanks,
Jack

I have two SATA drives not more than a year and a half old.

Clicking from the HDD usually means the HDD is failing.

Are you sure it's not an iPod? :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back