HD Temperature

S

Skwowwy

Hello again. :)

I've bought a Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM HD along with a Promise Ultra133 Controller Card. I've set it all up (every piece has their own cable).

But now I'm worrying about the new HD's temperature. It's really high... It almost got to 60 degrees, even with the case opened. I really would like to know some information about a HD's temperature and what the max temperature of my HD is, so I might consider buying a HD cooler...

If I have to buy a HD cooler, could you give me any suggestions, please? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. :) I'll talk with my dad about it. *prints the page*

As for the HD temperature itself, do you know where I can find information about it? I mean, I'd like to know if a constant 55 degrees isn't too bad for my HD.

Besides, it's a Compaq Presario model, so the two HDs are very close next to each other (the old HD's holes in the front are straigth in front of the new HD's metal). I don't know how to explain the current HD setup in proper English, so I hope you understand me.

Edit: I might as well want to say that it's great to have you here. :) You really give fast replies. :D

Ah, I see. Oh well, I'll still look around the internet. Maybe I'll stumble upon some site about it.

55-60C shouldn't be a problem (allthough it's not preferred). New 7200 drives do run really hot. This is why you should never put two or more drives together without cooling.

My 7200RPM drive does run warm to the touch, though my case has a 80mm intake fan blowing right into the bay cooling it. Are there sensors built into HDDs to read the temp, or do i just have to hold a thermometer to it?

JJB

To find out the operating temperature range of you drive (Maxtor) you will need to visit their web site and look at the technical specifications relating to operating temperatures and humidity for the drive you own. These degrade with time, which they don’t tell you only quoting mean time between failures for drives operating within their stated specifications. This is actually quite a complex calculation once you get into it.

Drive manufactures know that (say) a 40gig drive will be obsolete in about two to three years and it’s my opinion that any IDE drive currently on sale can be expected to fail after three years (continuous use). SCSI drives are usually built to a higher standard. Some IDE drives ”in-built technology” have the ability so slow down the rotation rate of the drives platters with increases in temperature or age, so the 7200rpm drive you bought todya can end up as a 5200rpm under certain circumstances.

There is a shakeout going on in this market with IDE/SCSI manufactures merging with each other or taking over each other. One thing’s for sure though, over the next few years hard drives with spinning platters will become obsolete being replaced by solid-state devices. These have no moving parts.

Personally iv’e never been bothered with drive temperatures unless you stack them inside a PC case. Also PC airflow and fan design (ATX case) must be a closed system so air can be directed properly, if you leave the sides of the case off the component temperatures will increase. The original ATX design pushed air into the case over the power supply (hence increasing temperature) but modern designs extract the air. If you use additional fans be aware that they must be balanced from the airflow point of view or you could end up with an even hotter system.

I have never really worried about Hard drive temps either, but I do have them at the top of my case so very little air flow over them. They are separated so not too large a problem. Getting a new case with a optional fan on the Hard drive bay which I might opt for if I can find a fan quiet enough.

There's no way I can separate both HDs. It's just the structure of my PC's case. Oh well. I've bought a HD cooler, though. It's one fan that can be attached to the HD (they didn't have two fans in one piece, too bad).

If the temperature is still too high, I'm probably gonna get a Thermaltake... Or lower the RPM (I heard that was possible with this HD).

Oooh, it worked. :D It's now balancing between 32 and 34 degrees. Lovely. :D

That's about 23 - 29 degrees difference (before it was often 55 - 61). :)

I use SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Edit: Your HD needs SMART support with temperature sensors, though.

If a HD has SMART, it doesn't mean it also has temperature sensors. My old HD has SMART, but no temperature sensors. The new HD has both.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back