• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

HD partition ?-how do i do this

R

rj2

is it possible in xp,to place the program files & my docs,etc on a different partition-D than where the OS is-C.
i would like to setup drive like so.its a 40 gig drive
C-8gigs-windows
D-12gigs-program files etc
E-13gigs-games
F-7gigs-mp3`s
am i lookin for os troubles doing it this way.i plan on using my old 20gig for the paging file,and ghost images for backup
thnx

R

rj2

thnx for reply.is it also possible that when you are installing xp,i can change the program files & my docs to d drive,instead of the default C drive

I don't think that's possible. You can just install into that directory when you're done... and even change your "My Documents" folder with Tweak UI.

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
Originally posted by rj2
thnx for reply.is it also possible that when you are installing xp,i can change the program files & my docs to d drive,instead of the default C drive
You can change the default install path to a different partition for your programs, but not when XP is installing. It makes things much easier so that you don't have to manually change your install path to "D:\Program Files\..." each time you install a new program. To do this, just make a simple registry change:

Open your registry and find this key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion]
Change the value of "ProgramFilesDir" to the desired Program Files directory (D:\Program Files).
Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

R

rj2

thnx for all the replies.i looked in the registry @ the key you suggest to change,it is not there!!weird

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seggar