HD Monitors

zapoqx

Striking Master
I'm looking to get a new monitor for my new system soon (when I get the extra money). I was seeing about HD Monitors at Fry's Electronics and it was somewhat crowded today and I couldn't ask any help about it. So I wanted to know if an HD Monitor would be worth it or not. I know it would also depend on the brand and such. My new video cards I'll be getting may have it. I saw an ATI 1950XTX have something about HD.
Let me know about it. Thx in advance

I forget all the details but here's the catch in a nut shell - The monitor and vid card both need to support digital rights management or Vista will degrade the signal quality from HD and Blue Ray through a built in rights management feature. Also, if the monitor does not support proper security protocols over a digital cable the signal wll be dropped back to less than HD.

I beleive the ATI cards support the protection scheme, not sure about Nvidia product. If you want performance and DX10 native support go Nvidia. If you want multimedia go ATI. If you want both wait for the next generation of ATI cards to launch or see what is availabel in a stand alone "tuner" card. Things have gotten so ugly I stopped keeping track of what works with what am and going to stay non-HD for at least another couple years. Two bad video purchasing experiences in one year was enough to sour me.

Not all monitors support the required DRM since it has to be liscenced (paid for).

Check carefully before commiting the dollars to what looks like a compliant HD setup.

i was actually going to post a topic about hd monitors too, but i saw this one. so what im getting is that as of now, nvidia doesn't support "DRM" for HD quality desktops with vista? would a HD compatible card either ati or nvidia work with xp? and how would this effect games or movies? would the quality be of the picture be better or the same?

I forget all the details but here's the catch in a nut shell - The monitor and vid card both need to support digital rights management or Vista will degrade the signal quality from HD and Blue Ray through a built in rights management feature. Also, if the monitor does not support proper security protocols over a digital cable the signal wll be dropped back to less than HD.

I beleive the ATI cards support the protection scheme, not sure about Nvidia product. If you want performance and DX10 native support go Nvidia. If you want multimedia go ATI. If you want both wait for the next generation of ATI cards to launch or see what is availabel in a stand alone "tuner" card. Things have gotten so ugly I stopped keeping track of what works with what am and going to stay non-HD for at least another couple years. Two bad video purchasing experiences in one year was enough to sour me.

Not all monitors support the required DRM since it has to be liscenced (paid for).

Check carefully before commiting the dollars to what looks like a compliant HD setup.

Ok... so in basics, as I did read about that DRM thing on one of the articals here at OSNN before, for videos, they need to be DRM able between the vidcard, the cable, and the monitor. Got it...

i was actually going to post a topic about hd monitors too, but i saw this one. so what im getting is that as of now, nvidia doesn't support "DRM" for HD quality desktops with vista? would a HD compatible card either ati or nvidia work with xp? and how would this effect games or movies? would the quality be of the picture be better or the same?

This is exactly the part I want to also know. I mean I would like to know as I mostly just watch Movies on a DVD player and rarely watch on my systems so movies isn't that big of deal, but what about gaming?

Also, is there any info on the release time of the next gen ATI cards?

Bah, what's the point of getting a HD tagged monitor when all PC monitors have a higher resolution than HD TVs. Fair enough if a HDCP-compatible monitor is required in order to get the picture from a movie disc. As far as games go, most games can run at 1600x1200 resolution or 1920x1200 (widescreen) which i gather is better than the HD TV resolution of 1920x1080 or is it 1600x1080?

its 1080x1920 for 1080 i or p.

actually is 1920*1080 (width*height) :p

to failurby: assuming you're talkin about hdcp (the drm thing) it should say in the card/monitor manual or maybe in the specs on the site... if it doesn't try emailing the manufacturer
if you're meaning hd-compliant.. the standard resolutions are 720p (1280x720) and 1080i/p... again check the specs..

to zapoqx: since you don't even play dvds on your pc forget all the hd stuff and just check the resolution, if it's widescreen and, if it's lcd, the response time
ati's r600 (the next gen cards) hasn't got a release date yet... it's supposed to show up in the upcoming months

Is it just me or is it f*ucking ridicules the hoops DRM is making us as the consumer jump through... Id pay a bit more in the short run just for the right to not have to deal with DRM.

Is it just me or is it f*ucking ridicules the hoops DRM is making us as the consumer jump through... Id pay a bit more in the short run just for the right to not have to deal with DRM.

Yeah current setup just makes "piracy" that much more temping. You can watch what you want without having to jump hoops to make sure you can watch what you paid for in the quality it was advertised in.

Companys have to start treating paying customers as such. They can go after people doing illegal activity if they want, but leave the legit people alone.

Thank you all for letting me know. So in basics, HD Monitor: Don't worry. I also saw in the monitors the resolutions they had. Would it be to assume the max resolution? I was thinking of playing games a bit higher than 1280x1024 if the graphics are a bit more worth it at higher res.

if they were lcd's it was the native resolutions, the actual number of pixels the display has (in case other res is used, the image is scaled... which almost all the time results in loss of quality)

btw, if anyone is interested, i found a list of hdcp enabled video cards: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342

i have a Samsung syncmaster 205bw. It came with a sticker on the side that says "DVI with HDCP" my video card is a ATI Radeon x700 pro....how can i tell with that?

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx700/specs.html

Note from bottom of page. I have no idea what this giberish means. It says they are capable but that they can't do it????? Possibly this refers to the lack of monitor support or potential compatibility issues since there was no content to validate against at the time.

* Currently there is no commercially available HDCP content. ATI's Radeon® X and Radeon® 9550 series of GPUs are capable of processing HDCP signals ("HDCP ready"), however ATI does not presently manufacture any graphics cards which are HDCP ready. Some third parties manufacture graphics cards containing ATI GPUs -- you can inquire of them which models, if any, -- are HDCP ready.

From the X1950XTX card:
2 Playing HDCP content may require additional HDCP ready components, including but not limited to an HDCP ready monitor, disc drive and computer system

This alludes to a function in the Player. I had not heard about that part before. Man am I so NOT going to buy any HD equipment for a LONG time yet.

so what you guys are saying is that even with a non-hd widescreen monitor, a regular widescreen monitor would have the same quality, if not better, if the resolution is higher?

if the game/vid/whatever supports/is in that resolution yeah... it'll look better

hd is just a standard (in case for hd you meant hdtv or hd video)

That is awsome to know. Thanks! I think I was saved from getting a hd monitor now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back