HD File to HDTV

N

Not Bman

Was not sure where this would be posted, assumed hardware would be needed.

I have a HD 1080p .mkv file. I would like to play it on my HDTV. I actually think my tv is only up to 1080i though if I am correct this .mkv file is not true 1080p, so it would not matter?

My question is what would be the fastest and easiest way to get that file playing on my HDTV? Can I plug a external hard drive into the tv through USB?

Would my best option be connect my computer up to the tv, and play through my system?

Last edited by a moderator:
that's how i do it - i have the pc connected to the tv

I use a DVI to HDMI cable connected to my PC's DVI port to the HDMI on my tv. and I have a seperate cable to run the audio to my stereo.
And I used VLC or media player classic to play the MKV file and just full screened it on my desktop.

same as me :) my logitech system handles all the audio through optical lead

Connecting your PC (or uploading the file back to the source Video Camera) is the only way I know of. If you don't have the DVI to HDMI adapter mentioned above, don't be afraid to use RGB. The quality differences should be non-existent. (This is not an attempt to bait HD purists, I'm speaking practical terms here! :))

I have looked before and a VGA cable would handle a resolution of 1920*1080 easily provided the tv has a VGA input which mine does not.
And HAD i wanted to get the HDDVD drive for my xbox 360 and watch an HD movie in 1080p I would need the VGA cable according to microsoft. Or HDMI which the 360 did not support until recently.

So I went to connect my computer upto my HDTV.

My computer system is in the basement. I have had it running for awhile now without one single issue, it's actually been running the best in a long time. To express how well it has been running, it has been running F*CKING AMAZING, just to clarify how well.

I shutdown my computer and removed all cables to it. I brought it up stairs and pluged in the keyboard and mouse into it. I hooked up the DVI to HDMI cable to the videocard (in the same slot I believe as down stairs) and pluged in the power. I turned on the computer and nothing shows up and all I get is 1 long beep with 2 short beeps, over and over again. Now before I continue I researched that sound on google and everything that I found says that it means its a video issue.

After plugging the DVI to HDMI into my slot, i tried a different slot, same thing, I then brought my monitor upstairs from my room and plugged it in without the HDTV plugged in, same thing. I tried both the monitor and HDTV plugged in, I tried nothing plugged in, I tried differnt combos of the video card slots with the TV and Monitor, all give the same beeping error. After that I went through my system checking to see if somehow the videocard was miss placed or if the RAM was, I checked everything within my system, everything is the way it was when it was working in my room. I even cleared the CMOS and the same beeping error still happens.

So I was about to give up, then I tried different slots to plug the power into the wall, tried 4 differnt places and same issue. Once that was done I was about to freaking hurt someone, so I was like let me go back downstairs and plug it in like it was before all this. I brought it all back to my room and to at least a 98% sure-ness it's back to how it exactly was before I moved it upstairs. Turned it on and the same freaking thing happens, 1 long beep with 2 short beeps.

So I come to you from another computer to ask what the hell is going on? Oh and the DVI to HDMI cable is the correct type of DVI so it has not damaged my videocard. I don't understand what could be wrong now? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

I do exactly what you do, and i use nvidia video cards. You should really try taking your monitor up stairs and running with that and the HDMI/DVI, once loaded, go to display properties to enable output to second monitor (your TV). Once done, assuming your are using nvidia, go to nvidia control panel and set output resolution to 1080p or 1080i for the tv. then use the tools to set the scaling for your tv. Good luck!

I do exactly what you do, and i use nvidia video cards. You should really try taking your monitor up stairs and running with that and the HDMI/DVI, once loaded, go to display properties to enable output to second monitor (your TV). Once done, assuming your are using nvidia, go to nvidia control panel and set output resolution to 1080p or 1080i for the tv. then use the tools to set the scaling for your tv. Good luck!

Please read my last posting carefully, I can't get anything screen.

Well, if you get nothing with your monitor now, then you probably dislodged your video card from the motherboard, or you bent a video pin or it is not plugged in all the way. I would find it hard to beleive your video card died. You can always take video card out and re-seat it and try again. Let me know.

I have removed the videocard, checked pins and replaced it in there, everything is a ok to go, but still nothing.

Sounds like the videocard might be damaged, try another videocard see if the computer boots with that ...

Yeah, thats what I am thinking, but was giving it the benefit of the doubt for sake of him maybe not having another or the onboard was taking over or something. Good luck!

So I removed the videocard again and replaced it with a 100% working one. Same issue, the same 1 long beep with 2 short beeps. Took it out and placed it back into the other computer and works. So that means its not the videocard?

If that means the videocard is fine, WTF could be going on? I have done everything I can think of, even down to clearing the CMOS (cant even get to the bios so). I am getting fed up and I am needed to do some work on it tommorow. Any ideas will help!!!

Oh and just in case you would ask, I don't have any onboard video.

Another thing, could it possibly be my DVI cable, maybe it shorted out during all of this?

My father keeps telling me to JUST try removing the RAM and putting it back in, but I refuse to do it because I don't see any related issues with it. I myself can't find any reason something could of happened, they are in correctly. Could there be anything happening with them?

And now with it not being the videocard, since another did the same thing. It makes no sense at all, never did in the first place, the system is exactly how it was before all this was done. WTF could be wrong with it ARHAUTHI!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
check the memory is seated in properly, you could reset the bios back to default settings (if you have overclocked).

I would suggest taking all cards and mem out of that pc and with either an extremely soft bristled brush clean every slot in there, as seeing as you had it in the basement, and have now moved it dust could have got into the slots, or you could use a can of compressed air to clean it all out, and then reseat everything, as eve a light knock to a pc can cause things to move

I removed the RAM and placed it back in, didn't have time to clean, and it made no difference. I will clean the system out later today. Even though I don't think it could make it not run, though you might know more.

I have a dead PCI-E slot where my old videocard was before, not sure why it's dead. Anyways I am about to try my videocard in that slot, maybe somehow its the working one now.

dust can cause the contacts to not meet correctly there by making the bios believe its not there, i have had it before on a pc i had to sort, was that bad you could pull the dust from the cpu fan off in clumps, had to use gloves on that as they smoked and the dust was all yellowie.

I will for sure try cleaning it all out 100% since I trust your word and I do know dust can cause some problems, I just yea.

Meanwhile, got any other ideas. The only thing that I can think of is that my second PCI-E slot has died as well. Why, who knows I dont know why the first one did.

norm its either incorrectly seated card/mem - card is dead - or motherboard is busted, if you have a spare slot try the video card in there, have you tried the video card you took out of the basement pc and tried it in another pc?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back