HD Drive

RE3 is one of my favorite movies out there, and the whole series. Will for sure check it out on blu-ray.

rotjong: how exactly are you archiving them? ripping them to .avi's or something? if so.... what program are you using?

and Bman... yeah... you definitely gotta check out RE3 on BluRay. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End isn't bad either.

rotjong: how exactly are you archiving them? ripping them to .avi's or something? if so.... what program are you using?

I always make use of AnyDVD HD.

Due to the weight of Big Brother you can only watch archived HD-DVD or BluRay discs as mounted images with PowerDVD. I believe it is the same with WinDVD and Arcsoft TMT. You can watch a burned BluRay backup from the BluRay drive, of course.

When I watch a disc the first time I watch it from the BluRay drive so that I can access all the features. Once I've seen the extra stuff then I make a movie-only backup

1. Have AnyDVD HD running in the background.
  2. If you aren't using Windows Vista then you need the Toshiba UDF 2.5 drivers installed or you need to first rip the entire BluRay disc to your HDD using the ripper built into AnyDVD HD before continuing.
  3. Use eac3to or BDInfo to locate the playlist (mlps) for the main movie. This is generally the one with the longest duration.
  4. Select that mlps file from the previous step with tsMuxeR GUI. You can deselect unecessary audio if you like.
  5. Select 'Create Blu-Ray disk' for the output with tsMuxeR GUI.
  6. Click on 'Start muxing' and sit back and relax for a bit.
  7. Take the output of tsMuxeR GUI and create an ISO image with UDF 2.5 using ImgBurn.
  8. Mount the ISO using Virtual CloneDrive.
  9. Play the mounted image with PowerDVD8.
Voila! There's your backup in full original BluRay quality minus the extra stuff that you shouldn't need to watch every single time you watch the movie and you've shaved off quite a bit of wasted storage space.

In terms of size here are examples of ISO sizes for two BluRay movie-only backups:

Appleseed Ex Machina - 14.0 GB (15,068,233,728 bytes)
Bladerunner (The Final Cut) - 15.1 GB (16,216,948,736 bytes)

Now that's not even twice the size of a DVD9 SD DVD disc and it's 10 GB less than a single layer BluRay disc.

Note: The above information takes into account that people own the discs they are making an archived backup of. I take no responsibility for the actions of others. I merely strive to to exercise my Fair Use rights and watch my high definition media under the best conditions possible.

Last edited:
got any links to the udf files ?

These drivers are for XP, XP SP2, and likely work with XP SP3.

Here's the download page: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...gigjdhcgfkceghdgngdgnj.0&ct=DL&all_docs=false

Here's a direct download link: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/qg600udfx.exe

Instructions:

1. Unpack the self-extracting ZIP
  2. Run setup.exe
  3. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temp\{1347D5A6-4FE0-476A-B85F-D0FC91F55EB0}
  4. Copy thdudf.inf and thdudf.sys to another location
  5. Exit the installer
  6. Go to where you copied thdudf.inf and thdudf.sys
  7. Right-click on thdudf.inf and select Install from the context menu

To be able to uninstall from Add/Remove copy and paste the following into a .reg file and merge it into your Windows Registry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\thdudf]
"DisplayName"="Toshiba UDF 2.5"
Note: These drivers are listed as UDF 2.5 but they also add support for UDF 2.6, as well.

Last edited:

Due to the weight of Big Brother you can only watch archived HD-DVD or BluRay discs as mounted images with PowerDVD. I believe it is the same with WinDVD and Arcsoft TMT. You can watch a burned BluRay backup from the BluRay drive, of course.

When I watch a disc the first time I watch it from the BluRay drive so that I can access all the features. Once I've seen the extra stuff then I make a movie-only backup

2. If you aren't using Windows Vista then you need the Toshiba UDF 2.5 drivers installed or you need to first rip the entire BluRay disc to your HDD using the ripper built into AnyDVD HD before continuing.
  3. Use eac3to or BDInfo to locate the playlist (mlps) for the main movie. This is generally the one with the longest duration.
  4. Select that mlps file from the previous step with tsMuxeR GUI. You can deselect unecessary audio if you like.
  7. Take the output of tsMuxeR GUI and create an ISO image with UDF 2.5 using ImgBurn.
Voila! There's your backup in full original BluRay quality minus the extra stuff that you shouldn't need to watch every single time you watch the movie and you've shaved off quite a bit of wasted storage space.

In terms of size here are examples of ISO sizes for two BluRay movie-only backups:

Now that's not even twice the size of a DVD9 SD DVD disc and it's 10 GB less than a single layer BluRay disc.

Note: The above information takes into account that people own the discs they are making an archived backup of. I take no responsibility for the actions of others. I merely strive to to exercise my Fair Use rights and watch my high definition media under the best conditions possible.

Nice set of information, I might start doing this. Thanks.

and Bman... yeah... you definitely gotta check out RE3 on BluRay. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End isn't bad either.

You both said RE3, and it's one of my fav movies. So I went out earlier today and picked it up on Blu-ray, man it's kicking some ass!

*edit I am having one issue, sound effects are 100X louder then voice, whats the deal?

Nice set of information, I might start doing this. Thanks.

I didn't invent the method but it does work well. Glad to help. :)

The movie-only method also takes a heck of a lot less time when you rip directly from the BluRay disc compared to ripping the entire disc to your HDD.

*edit I am having one issue, sound effects are 100X louder then voice, whats the deal?

I wish I could help but since I neither own this BluRay nor have I seen it on BluRay I can't figure that out. I only had a chance to see the SD DVD release.

Oh, i figured if there is a problem with the sound it would be a known blu-ray issue, Maybe it isn't. I know a lot of movies are like that, where sound effects are louder, but this is extreme.

I forgot to mention before that you should update the firmware to 1.03 if the drive didn't come updated. I figure it likely shipped with the 1.02 firmware.

Go here: http://www.lge.com/support/software.jsp

1. Select your geographic location.
  2. Click on the DVD-ROM (Writer) link that's near the bottom on the right of the page.
  3. Find your drive listed and download the 1.03 firmware.

LG's download site is a total pain in the butt.

That firmware update was the first thing that I did. Thanks.

It won't. I'm not sure why LordOfLA suggested that. Unless they meant a wireless remote which you can get for PowerDVD. I'm not sure how the remote works, though, since I've never had one for PowerDVD.

Cos I use my Logitech MX Revolution for the menus on my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs :)

I find using the mouse quite complicated, how you have to hold the right button and move right to move right, and all that. The keyboard is easier, and a remote is even better.

BTW, windvd 9 when it works is best for HD-DVD/Blueray playback. If you're using 32 bit xp/vista check out arcsoft TME.

BTW, windvd 9 when it works is best for HD-DVD/Blueray playback. If you're using 32 bit xp/vista check out arcsoft TME.

Is WinDVD 9 a free program, I suppose not. What exactly is Arcsoft TME, is that another program?

windvd 9 cost me ~$55 US.

Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme runs around the same.

Which player is best is really a matter of opinion. It's subjective. Most people I talk to and deal with agree that right now all software players have their own issues but PowerDVD Ultra tends to be the lesser of the evils.

It really comes down to stability, features, cost, and support.

I have zero stability issues with PowerDVD but I did with WinDVD and Arcsoft TMT when I experimented.

The features of PowerDVD worked best overall for what I need the software for.

I upgraded from a previous version so I didn't pay full price.

Support is abysmal with Cyberlink but I don't think WinDVD or Arcsoft have much better support.

I'd say experiment and see which works best for you. I love the PQ of PowerDVD compared to the other players and it's just rock solid on all my systems that I've run it on.

Yea I don't think the player is a problem. I am happy with PowerDVD.

I just found it stupid with the mouse, that's all, not really a problem.

Just reading through this, seems like a lot to do to get a video file. Is there a program out there that rips HD movies. 1 program would be better. Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back