HD Drive

Yes LordofLA, I should know that by now, only come here lol.

I am confused again, I need AnyDVD to watch blu-ray movies with PowerDVD? Or is that only if I am connecting my PC to my HDTV?

rotjong, yes the advisor also said I only had 2048MB of ram when i have 4GB worth of it. I thought it was an error. I didn't know PowerDVD 8 didn't play HDDVD, which is what I have, not the biggest bummer but I find that stupid on Cyberlinks part.

So 100%, its mainly the software on PC's that support the certain abilites of blu-ray and hddvd correct?

I am confused again, I need AnyDVD to watch blu-ray movies with PowerDVD? Or is that only if I am connecting my PC to my HDTV?

rotjong, yes the advisor also said I only had 2048MB of ram when i have 4GB worth of it. I thought it was an error. I didn't know PowerDVD 8 didn't play HDDVD, which is what I have, not the biggest bummer but I find that stupid on Cyberlinks part.

AnyDVD removes AACS, BD+, removes User Prohibited Operations, and skips over annoying trailers and stuff on-the-fly. It also can allow you to view the BD content without it being downsampled using a non-HDCP monitor and/or videocard.

They allow you to have v7 and v8 installed at the same time. Doing this allowed them to get around licensing being able to offer HD-DVD playback most likely. They saved money and HD-DVD is essentially dead so why get a new license for v8? I wish they had left in HD-DVD support but, alas, they didn't.

It should be noted that they didn't say HD-DVD playback was removed until it had become apparent HD-DVD was losing. Playback was still possible in some betas of v8 and they never initially said it was removed so I don't think they really knew ahead of time if they would be removing it.

The upside is you can view both formats with both installed and if you know how to do it you install both but just use v8 to watch everything. The downside is wasted disc space and some extra running services and processes from both versions being installed. If your system is powerful enough to handle it the extra stuff isn't noticeable.

So 100%, its mainly the software on PC's that support the certain abilites of blu-ray and hddvd correct?

As long as you have the adequate hardware (ie powerful enough processor, a BD drive, enough memory, HDCP videocard, HDCP monitor, etc) then all that is left is the software. Profile 2 for BD was an update for PowerDVD. A BD drive doesn't have anything to do with things like the BD Profile version. Just keep your firmware up to date and keep your software player updated and you should be good to go.

AnyDVD removes the need for HDCP compliant parts so you can watch hi-def movies in hi-def :)

I just got my blu-ray/hddhd drive today for my birthday. The GGC-H20L from LG. Looks good going to set it up soon!

I just got my blu-ray/hddhd drive today for my birthday. The GGC-H20L from LG. Looks good going to set it up soon!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

One movie that shows you just how amazing BluRay can be is Ratatouille. It's just unreal. Transformers is pretty amazing on HD-DVD, as well. I'll be interested to see what it looks when they re-release it on BluRay on September 2, 2008.

RE3 is amazing on Blu-ray. I had to upgrade to quad-core to watch it :D

The only issue I see so far, is that all the features are hard to use without a remote. Are they any suggestions?

How is a wireless mouse any different then a mouse?

I am saying the way the mouse is used to navigate and all that is hard to do.

The only issue I see so far, is that all the features are hard to use without a remote. Are they any suggestions?

Sadly, this is an issue with HD-DVD and BluRay. I'm not sure if it applies to all software players or not but you have to use the keyboard for selecting menu options.

In PowerDVD7 Ultra they had a compatibility workaround to use the mouse for HD-DVD but it's not that lovely. There is no such workaround for BluRay.

How is a wireless mouse any different then a mouse?

I am saying the way the mouse is used to navigate and all that is hard to do.

It won't. I'm not sure why LordOfLA suggested that. Unless they meant a wireless remote which you can get for PowerDVD. I'm not sure how the remote works, though, since I've never had one for PowerDVD.

I just noticed I got the GGC, instead of GGW.

Mine does not write :( I guess I will keep it, wait till the writers are much cheaper.

I just noticed I got the GGC, instead of GGW.

Mine does not write :( I guess I will keep it, wait till the writers are much cheaper.

You're looking at a 100 USD difference in price. I could have spent the extra 100 USD to get the GGW-H20L but I didn't because the cost involved removes the feasibility, IMHO.

The price of blank media is still too much for me to waste my time wanting to burn backups of my BluRay discs. I archive the ones that I am likely to watch more than once on a large HDD that I have set aside for that purpose but I don't have any reason to need to burn them for the time being. With them archived on a HDD I don't have to worry about damaging the original which is as good as having a backup and the prices of HDDs per GB of space is a heck of a lot more cost effective than the cost of BluRay blank media.

On a fairly regular schedule I expect to see the speeds of the BluRay burners and media to go up. I believe I read somehwhere to expect this to happen every 4 to 6 months although I don't know if I believe that. As this happens the price of the lower rated media will drop. Once the media prices are actually worth spending money on and a burner like the GGW-H20L drops below 200 USD then I will look at a BluRay burner.

Last edited:
RE3 is amazing on Blu-ray. I had to upgrade to quad-core to watch it :D

That's one that I haven't had a chance to watch on BluRay yet. I need to remember to check that out.

Yeah, I remember Resident Evil: Extinction was one of the movies that caused a number of problems when it was released. It's a Profile 1.1 release meaning it requires a more powerful system be it videocard and/or CPU.

Sunshine is pretty amazing looking although the movie reminded me of a lot of Solaris which was a great movie but nearly put me to sleep. It's also a Profile 1.1 which caused people problems when it was released.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back