Hd 2600 Xt

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I'm wondering what the difference between a 7600GT and a HD 2600 XT would be. I'm trying to decide to upgrade to the 2600 XT, or wait for a new round of mainstream cards to see if there is a bump in performance for this segment. I don't game on my pc enough to jump to the 8800 series even if they are getting low in price. I was hoping for another 6600GT or 7600GT jump in mainstream performance but it seems like the 8600 GTS or GT and HD 2600 XT have been quite disappointing

I couldn't tell you about the 2600XT but the 2900XT just got a massive boost with the 7.6 Catalyst drivers.

that's promising to hear. I just want a well rounded graphics card but I like to make jumps in performance...I don't want to move to laterally.

Curious why you are looking at the current ATI cards instead of the 8x00 cards?

For midrange:
8600GT for $164 if you want DX 10.
Poor second choice is 1950 XT for $200 if DX10 is a don't care.

If you want midrange ATI DX10 try a trip to England. The 2600 XT is supposed to be on sale there now with a little better performance than the 8600 GT at a little lower price. If you're into multimedia the 2600XT has good built in video decoders. Power consumption is very low for the speed. Check the following for the benchies:

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/421-1/ATI+HD+2600+XT+256MB/

BUT, there are still some driver issues with the catalysts on the 2600 XT. Should be a very interesting DX10 card for the money when the drivers are stable and it's really in the USA stores. But it still doesn't represent a significant improvement over my 2 year old X800XL...

The 2400 XT is still vaporware.

Last edited:
/me wonders what leejend is talking about?

2900XT meets or beats 640mb 8800 GTS performance. I'd be interested in seeing benchmarks of it now with the 7.6 drivers. I'd run 3dmark 06 myself if it didn't crash on load :p

here is a link I found that shows some pretty good performance numbers for mainstream cards compared to some of the last generation cards.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/465/1

this is perfect for me because I'm going from a 7600GT to something higher...keeps my mind on a 8600GTS or waiting for a 8800GTS to fall a lower or something in the 175-225 range.

Another link for higher end...not sure about the drivers used like LA talked about earlier but thought I'd post this as well
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=581

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back