Having some SCSI RAID trouble.

M

Mrlucky0690

So im building a computer right now with 4 x 38.6 10000rpm scsi drives and 2 normal IDE hdd's, one is a 120 gig and one is an 80, both are 7200 rpm. I need to create a RAID array with the 4 scsi drives and am having some trouble even getting started. The Mobo has scsi onboard but im not positive if it has raid or not. The Mobo is a Tyan 2665 dual processor, so if someone knows specifically if it does or doesnot have raid i would appreciate knowing. The problem is comming up that even with all 4 of these scsi drives plugged in and both IDE drives the computer is only showing me my one C: drive in my computer. The one that it is showing me IS the master of the 2 ide's but i dont know why it isnt recognizing the second IDE at the least and also why it doesnt show me the SCSI drives.

Here are the system specs:

Mobo: Tyan 2665
Processor: Dual Pentium 2.4
IDE HDD's: 120 gig 7200 rpm / 80 gig 7200 rpm
SCSI HDD's: 38.6 10000 rpm
RAM: 2 gig PC2100

I think thats all the specs that apply to the problem. If anyone can help me out who is knowledgeable about RAID arrays and SCSI drives i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

From what I can see on the mobo's webpage, it is not a raid controller, just a Ultra 320 onboard SCSI. Sorry dude.

ok so that blows... in that case am i going to have to buy a seperate SCSI RAID card? If i remember right those things are expensive as ****.

if you want one with decent transfer speed and onboard 16mb ram then your looking at about £150 for a scsi raid controller.

BUT as a stop gap i used the xp software raid controller through disk managment to create a software aray, its been up and running for over a year without problems.

(before everyone starts sayin software raid is crap i outbenchmark the hardware version and my cpu usage under heavy transfer is 2%)

Originally posted by GoNz0
(before everyone starts sayin software raid is crap i outbenchmark the hardware version and my cpu usage under heavy transfer is 2%)
Part of the "crap" is that if you reinstall XP, the RAID array is gone.

I believe the reason why none of the other drives don't show up is that you haven't partitioned or formatted the disks yet.

Well guys if you dont suggets a software raid then could someone give me a little insight as to how you create a hardware raid array with scsi drives?

1. Well first of buy the SCSI RAID PCI card (like this one http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pr...odkey=ASR-2010S&cat=/Technology/RAID/Ultra320).
2. Install it and hook up the drives.
3. As the computer boots you should be able to enter the BIOS of the RAID card.
4. Here you select the type of RAID you want and which drives to inlude. Setup may take a while depending on array type.
5. Partition and format the drives in Windows.
6 Done.

May sound like i'm preaching to the converted, but you haven't set the "C:" drive you mentioned with any kinda termination have you?

SCSI devices require a different set up than IDE.
(Chains go from 0 to 7 or 0 to 15 usually)

Each dev needs it's own number (with the controller at SCSI ID 0 usually.) and the chain needs terminating.
Ensure the chain isn't terminating early somewhere due to dodgy drive jumper settings ;)
Make sure you dont have two devices with the same ID number :)

Not even sure of the capabilities of yer board so this may not be an issue for you, so forgive me if i'm telling ya how to suck eggs :)

If you want to install Windows on your SCSI disks with RAID, then u'll need a hardware RAID controller. If you only want extra storage within Windows, then you can use software RAID.

Originally posted by Zedric
Part of the "crap" is that if you reinstall XP, the RAID array is gone.

sorry, but you go into disk managment and reactivate the raid aray, it doesnt just do it, you have to click on the none active aray and XP ask's if you want to repair it (think it says repair been 6 months)
but its the 3rd time i formatted and saved the raid aray every time, thankgod, i crapped it the 1st time until i right clicked the aray and got it up again, so its safe as :)

Originally posted by GoNz0
sorry, but you go into disk managment and reactivate the raid aray, it doesnt just do it, you have to click on the none active aray and XP ask's if you want to repair it (think it says repair been 6 months)
but its the 3rd time i formatted and saved the raid aray every time, thankgod, i crapped it the 1st time until i right clicked the aray and got it up again, so its safe as :)
I'll be damned! That's good to know. Thanks! Maybe it's not so crappy then. :)

I thought MS would be doing some unique number thingy on every install like they do with everything else (encryption, users and so on).

lucky, make sure you have the latest scsi drivers for that controller. once you do that, go to disk management and see if they show up in there. you'll need to partition and format them. after which, they'll show up in my computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back