Having problems opening Internet Explorer

CelicaMan94

OSNN Junior Addict
I just had Charter cable installed in the house that I moved into. I never had problems with IE until this. I don't believe there's a lot of software involved with Charter, and there's nothing really obvious in the task manager that would make me think different.

What IE does now when I try to open it is automatically close itself. It flashes on the screen for a split second and then closes. This only happens on my account. IE works perfectly fine on my g/f's account, which is the one that was logged in when Charter was installed. Anyone have any ideas to why IE is being a pain in my ass?

try to register the dll's

Quit all programs that are running.
windows key+r
paste;

regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)
If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

I registered all the .dlls successfully, and had to change a couple of 1s to 0s in those registry values. IE still does the same thing. Any other things I could do?

Perhaps try repairing IE. Just go to the uninstall applet like you would for any other app and pick IE, it will then give you an option to repair it. :)

Also it's odd that just changing to cable would mess up IE somehow. Do you have an up to date antivirus program running?

In my experience the application that the cable company gives you is not needed. Cable modems and DSL (with a router) are plug and play. You shouldn't need a third party application to get your Internet working. Most third party apps from Internet providers customize IE. I would try uninstalling the software and go from there.

System Restore is always an option.

Xie said:
Perhaps try repairing IE. Just go to the uninstall applet like you would for any other app and pick IE, it will then give you an option to repair it.

The repair tool was a feature of Internet Explorer 5 and is not available with the version that XP comes with.

It seems to me this is perhaps a user account issue and not Internet Explorer since IE works fine on his girlfriends account.

If it was IE then it would be messed up for all accounts.

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2)windows key+r, paste;

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

enter

that'll reinstall ie

Last edited:
I tried reinstalling from the CD like Perris said, but that didn't work either. It keeps asking for the SP2 CD, which I don't have. I have the original version of XP on CD. I was able to copy SOME of the files that it asked for, but others aren't found on the CD anywhere. Apparently there were some files added in SP2. I skipped what files I could and rebooted after it finished. After I logged back in it automatically updated to the SP2 version of IE, but it still does the same thing it was doing before.

You can extract the i386 folder from the XP SP2 EXE. Use WinZip or WinRAR to do so.

Then when it asks for the SP2 CD point it to the directory on your HDD containing the i386 folder.

I got it reinstalled and that didn't work either. Just out of curiosity I logged into my g/f's account and compared our task managers to see if there was anything running on my account that wasn't running on her's. I didn't notice anything right away but then I saw one thing: WindowBlinds.

I logged back into my account, unloaded WindowBlinds, and low and behold IE now works fine. It's really ghey that something this simple could cause me so many problems. :dead: Thanks for all the help anyway!

CelicaMan94 said:
It's really ghey that something this simple could cause me so many problems. :dead: Thanks for all the help anyway!
Well technically it's not so "simple". What Windowblinds is really doing is allowing you to mess with the Windows shell (GUI). :)

CelicaMan94 said:
I got it reinstalled and that didn't work either. Just out of curiosity I logged into my g/f's account and compared our task managers to see if there was anything running on my account that wasn't running on her's. I didn't notice anything right away but then I saw one thing: WindowBlinds.

I logged back into my account, unloaded WindowBlinds, and low and behold IE now works fine. It's really ghey that something this simple could cause me so many problems. :dead: Thanks for all the help anyway!

WindowsBlinds is really ghey. :)

Windowblinds isn't worth the time or effort. I would dump it and not use it. All it is is an eye candy resource hog. Most of the people I know who use it, including myself, only use it for a day then uninstall it ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back