Having a hard time buying RAM online!

BlackScarletLove

I am having difficulties finding the specifications of RAM I want.

I am looking for a gig of pc3200 ddr ram for a total cost (including shipping) of not more than $165CDN. Of course, I'd rather only be paying around $80 before shipping, that sort of range, some of these prices I see are ridiculous...

I understand a limited amount about ram specs, such as the importance of CAS Latency, but not much.
I used cpu-z to find the specs on my existing ram, (report screenshot attached) and I find that my CL is 2.5. Since modules with different CL can be mixed on a system, but the system will only run at the highest (slowest) CL, that means I need to get ram that is 2.5.
This is proving very difficult to find. Almost everything I see is 3, and these sites are retardedly difficult to navigate...

There are certain pieces that look interesting, but don't mention the CL, such as
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...682&CatId=1600
and
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...L TECHNOLOGY
so I don't know what is the CL, and I need to in order to know that it is the right piece for my pc.

Also, from looking at the attached report about my existing ram, does anybody see any of those other specs (RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD), RAS Precharge Delay (tRP), Precharge Delay (tRAS)) that I should also be keeping in mind to match while shopping, besides the CL?

Since hardware is not my strongpoint, this is a very overwhelming and pressuring venture for me, wanting to get the best for my system at the most reasonable prices, when I only have a very lingering grasp of what the best for my system is, lol.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• cpuzreport.PNG
    cpuzreport.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 101
I quite disagree. X(

just grab a sitck of crucial pc3200 DDR and ignore all other details. The replys you had in your other thread were unnecessarily complex.

This will meet your needs just fine: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2737294&CatId=1304

lol, somehow I don't think they were unnecessarily complex if they were relevant.

From what I've studied, the stick that you directed me to (which is 512 not 1GB) would not meet my needs just fine. Unless all the complex info I've researched is wrong, then this stick would only slow my existing ram down. I quite happen to like complex solutions, because they allow me to learn specific verbose details of how and why. I dislike taking someone's word for a quick fix.

Take it or leave it. .5 is not going to make any difference what so ever to your pc's performance that will be noticable by you.

Search tigerdirect for crucial pc3200 and the capacity you want and buy one that does not indicate it is ECC ram.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back