Have XP, want to also Install ME? please help

C

CSMew

Hello,
i installed XP clean on my harddrive but i would also like to go
backwards and add Windows ME to a separate partition. is that possible?

i have over 100 gigs and about 7 partitions of which, my c: is my Windows XP.

i prety much wouldlike to make my G: drive Windows ME and my C: Windows XP without erasing everything. my G: is currently formatted and clean

Would i just be able to Install ME on G: and it will automatically detect both OS and give me an option to pick one at startup? or would it screw things up.

Can anyone advise?

thanks
Larry

I don't know why it wouldn't work. Usually the best rule of thumb is to install the oldest operating system first. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest backing up your valuables to another partition just in case it mucks with XP and you have to reinstall it. Other then that I'd say go for it and report back how things turned out.

yeah that shouldn't be a problem m8... u seem to have a big enough HDD... just hope your g:\ is big enough to install ME...

You can set which os's to come up when u boot and which one is your default 9one to go into if u select nothing) through the boot.ini or alternatively you can go to Control Panel -> System and click the "advanced" tab and select the button "Settings" under the last option 'Start up and recovery' and mess with that.

Enjoy :)

MdSalih

me/xp

as lonman stated, I would put on ME on G: then install xp on c:\ this would automagically create the dual boot option. But with XP installed already, I bet when you install ME, that it writes over the MBR for c:\ therefore you wont boot into XP at all. If this does happen, I dont know if repairing XP would fix everything to dual boot as it should be. This bring up an interesting question... Does XP have a MBR rebuiler like win9x/ME does in using FDISK/MBR????? Might need to get a boot manager like "system commander" or something like that.

I am not for sure if windows is like linux and boot files have to be on the 1024 sector or less. Might consider installing windows on d:\ or e:\

well, im gonna try it this weekend. i really hope when i install ME that it will give me the option to have dual OS boot at startup.

The prob is, is that when i installed XP, that was the first time i did that and it took me a while to get all my settings done. i really just dont want to go through that hassle all over again so soon. I've installed ME soo many times that i can do that in 40 minutes flat with all drivers and settings :D

i only want ME for the purpose of Gaming. in my experience, XP has really screwed up my gaming controls. All my games ran nice and sweet with ME

Larry

i will let you know if i got screwed or not.

"I bet when you install ME, that it writes over the MBR for c:\ therefore you wont boot into XP at all. "

Are you saying taht there is a great possibilty that it wont even offer me the chance to have a dual OS bootup screen? that it will automatically go straight to ME?

Are you saying taht there is a great possibilty that it wont even offer me the chance to have a dual OS bootup screen? that it will automatically go straight to ME?
That's one possibility. I'm pretty sure you'll at least get the dual boot option by installing this way.

My concern is whether or not XP will boot-up when it's selected from the bootloader options. As pc_tek suggested, you may be looking at a repair installation of XP to be able to boot into XP.

I'd say go for it and see what happens, just make sure you back up the what needs backed up from your XP installation in case you need to reinstall it.

me/xp

Originally posted by CSMew
"I bet when you install ME, that it writes over the MBR for c:\ therefore you wont boot into XP at all. "

Yep! Ill bet a nickel (lol) that if you have XP installed and install ME on another partition that the very next boot up it will boot into ME.

Also, since you mentioned your settings that took so long to configure... guess what... microsoft actually thought of something =)

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

This will save all of your settings and allow you to restore them onto XP after format =)

But this is what I think you can do. I think you can install ME onto a different partition, then it will boot into ME (im betting here) then boot up to your XP disk and if i am not mistaking, you can just repair the boot section. Now it should boot into XP, i dont think it will be dual boot yet. Im betting your going to manually have to tell it to dual boot by configuring the boot.ini (msconfig).

my address for my nickel is:
Pc_tek
LOL Lane
Tacoma washington

Just kidding about the nickel..lol I hope all works out. Hope this helps!

I can't quite figure out WHY anyone would want to dual-boot with ME, but...
The ME install will completely screw up the MBR, and XP willl not be available.
You can run the XP repair console and it will (usually) pick up the second OS, and add it to the boot menu. It could be added manually, easily enough.

dual os

:confused:

I agree. xp has totally screwed up my online experiences! I have now divorced from aol, after a long happy time together. xp and aol just didn't get on at all, and i constantly got disconnected.

geekygirl

I've tried that before and the result was that windows ME took over the boot...

when i went into the repair thing from the XP setup and choosed FIXBOOT, windows XP took over the boot again, and ME was added to BOOT.ini - BUT win me didn't work...

you have to install winME first and WinXP last...

You will need to do a repair of your WinXP install after you have installed WinME and this will add the dual boot options. I have already done this on my wifes computer and it worked fine.

However remember that WinME will only boot from a primary partition unlike XP or 2000. So your G: drive must be the first partition on that disk.

The best thing to do is a clean install of WinME on C:/ then put XP on any other partition you want. But try whatever you like it's your system :D

Re: dual os

Originally posted by geekygirl
:confused:

I agree. xp has totally screwed up my online experiences! I have now divorced from aol, after a long happy time together. xp and aol just didn't get on at all, and i constantly got disconnected.

geekygirl

You have to use Aol 7.0 for XP

I don't get all these people having problems with gaming on xp. I havn't had any (touch wood). Is it the norm that games don't work on xp and am i just lucky or are you lot just unlucky?

I even had AOL installed and it worked fine (I stress this was only for scientific reasons and has since been removed):)

geekygirl: believe me, that divorce is for the better.

CSMew: You can't do what you're saying you'd like to do. It would do one of two things, and most likely that latter:
1> ME overwrites your MBR (the thing the computer boots off of) and you go straight to XP or:
2> ME won't install because you're not installing on the primary partition of your C: drive.

What you COULD do is install ME on your C: drive (which would require a reformat, and even if you found a way to do this without formatting, you'd want to format anyway), then install XP on your G: drive. Win2K/XP can handle booting off other drives just fine. 95/98/ME can not. As a bonus, 2K/XP would also add the ME partition to your boot chooser automagically.
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back