Have a look at this mobo for me!

Evil Marge

I Rule
Political Access
My son's thinking of buying this motherboard but I thought I'd get your opinions on it before he spends his money.
Is it any good,is it worth it? :)
Click me!!

I've never heard of the company that makes it, SiS chipsets suck (SiS = S**t In Side), it has onboard video and no AGP slot to upgrade to better video (don't expect to play any games that require 3D), the Micro-ATX size makes upgrading really limited, and onboard AC97 sound is terrible. I wouldn't touch that motherboard with a 10 foot pole.

Though it really depends on the use. It would be fine for websurfing, email, Microsoft Office, etc; but don't expect it to do much more.

-JJB

Haha, Everything that JJB said is right. Except for the make, I know that Novatech make some good stuff, mate has a notebook by them, nice little machine :) shame everything else (as mentioned by JJB) add up against the board making it quite nasty :D

heh @ JJB.

Depends what kind of user he is. If it's just basic stuff like school work/internet etc... then yeah.. thats perfect.

But as JJB pointed out quite vividly.. not the motherboard to go for if you are aiming to upgrade things/power user.

MdSalih

Must be a UK only company then, I've never heard of them in the States.

-JJB

MdSalih said:
heh @ JJB.

Depends what kind of user he is. If it's just basic stuff like school work/internet etc... then yeah.. thats perfect.

But as JJB pointed out quite vividly.. not the motherboard to go for if you are aiming to upgrade things/power user.

MdSalih
I wouldn't wish AC97 on even the average user, not even on a newbie! :p

And yeah JJB, it's a UK company :)

JJB6486 said:
... SiS chipsets suck (SiS = S**t In Side), ...
-JJB

ahahha, lmao :D
Sounds about right.

I recently switched from Abit to Soyo motherboards. I am happy with the switch. I have built 3 computers now with soyo boards and they are all running solid as a rock. Very nice performance too.

I have an onboard AC97, but recently got a SoundBlaster PCI 128 for free. And I haven't noticed a difference in sound. But I wanted to get away from onboard crap. I have onboard video but mu mobo has an AGP slot :).

Thanks guy's.Looks like we'll have to have another look around.
He wants to be able to play older games on it.
Any recommendations?? He's on a buget so we don't want anythig fancy,just affordable :D

dreamliner77 said:
I would only use this if I was to build a box for grandma.
You'd inflict AC97 on grandma' ? Shame on you :p :D

The asus a7n8x-x or whatever their budget one is. I have the deluxe and I love it!!

James

If the budget is tight look for a UK supplier of PCchips MBs. A friend of mine builds and sells low cost systems and that's all he uses. 3 of the 4 computers he has at home are PCchips brand. He has never had a board fail or one dead from the supplier.

I know of US suppliers though.

I would suggest an Asus board, full ATX Size. The budget version of the A7N8X would do nicely.

-JJB

Thanks guy's I'll have a look at your recommendations.
The thing is he's on a budget of £180 (which he saved himself) and out of that he's hoping he can get a mobo,processor,memory and harddisk.
I've been told it can be done but we just don't have any idea where to look and what to look for :confused:

marge i had that motherboard ..... it was a giveaway by a mate ... and i must say that it caused me nothing but problems .... ran hot ... crashed /.. installed it about ten times before giving it back .... when i handed it back to my mate he said "oh i thought it was something else that was casuing that to happen all the time"!! .... i wouldnt touch another novatech product ever ...... :( i also found there technical support to be absolutly terrible .... apart from all that .... hmmm no no and no ....

on another note in the uk if your budget is tight go to www.scan.co.uk and look at their today only page ... they have daily offers that can work out up to 30% cheaper than the rrp!.....
i hope this helps.

Thanks Mooz :)
I've just found theses bundles,is there anything on there worth buying??
Planet Micro
Can be slow loading but it does come up.........eventually :rolleyes:

Take a look at GigaByte mobo's. There are a good mobo company and are realistic is cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back