Has Windows 7 killed this site?

Yup, I stay busy with other things in other places....not to mention retirement - heck I don't hardly have time to go to the bathroom with the never ending "Honey-Do list" my wife has. :rolleyes:

A tech sight might not be the best indication of whether a new OS is easy/hard, or how many issues people might have. There's a few considerations:

- OK, Vista in many respects was far from an ideal system. TBH, I last used it back in release candidate days; and borrowing a laptor that has it installed, with the lattest service packs; I can honestly say, that from memory; many of the issues I can run into/deal with doesn't leave me with the impression it improved much from it's RC days, lol... I'd definitely not get it fresh installed on a system.

- win7 could have fewer issues then Vista; but all in all many stayed with XP because they weren't all that thrilled with Vista. In any case, several other considerations.

- Companies as standard practice tend to wait until after service pack 1 is released before they'll roll a new OS out onto production systems. This in itself would result in fewer 7 systems being out there. Many places of business really only see it if/when a worker brings their home computer into work (if they allow it, and have provisions for that). In that case, some issues with inter-operability can occur, as happens at this one place I've done some work at. In that case it was someone's home win7 system with some function on a win 2003 server. They just didn't want to auto-negotiate/play nice with each other, without some intervention.

- Many people who come to tech sites, are more savy then the average user. Someone such as my mother who can get stumped with things like closing the case on a laptop is not the same as turning it off; as she's frantic the computer is hot and won't boot "normally". She might know how to open the web browser on her laptor, but go to someone elses desktop, running the OS, and she's easily confused on how to open the same program, simply because the icons aren't layed out the same, etc.

- Given that, it's people who are either working support, or are part of a compnaies IT staff who would be a better indication of what issues do/don't come up. Even Vista, which had been around for awhile however could give some people who are more familiar with computers, a few issues. AKA, the "I know what I want", but where the f- was this driver function, or this control interface moved to" as one looked at the old location for things. But those more familiar, also are able to do a little searching, and can usually find it without having to always ask. But all in all, until it becomes more main stream (and not just on some pre-installed systems, minus businesses that shy away from anything new till it's more tried and true), many things just won't come out as much.

Someone thought NTFS would be better. lol

I do hope this site picks up again some day.

Someone thought NTFS would be better. lol

I do hope this site picks up again some day.
I think the quality of posts has also helped kill some of the traffic here. I blame the contests. ;) Other then being busy I don't want to sift through the sea of spam threads and people that can't use a search engine threads. I'd like to see a return of people with real questions again.

You can say it, you blame me. I ask too many "google" questions around here. Sorry. Though if you look at the Question Vs Help Ratio when I first joined, to now. I help more often then I used too.

There is a lot of 1-hit Wonder Spam posts these days though.

Hey Bman, I too post questions that normally can be answered by google, but I like to have answered with personal experience behind the answer. Sometimes, someone did something a certain way that they can share with me here, something that a normal google answer never comes up with...............

Heeter

I wasn't referring to either of you two. :) It was geared more toward the spammers that are just getting a post count to get around filters.

Would be great if I could report more then 1 SPAM post every 60s. I do 2 and I'm done for a while ... but are like 10 more to go.

I think the quality of posts has also helped kill some of the traffic here. I blame the contests. ;) Other then being busy I don't want to sift through the sea of spam threads and people that can't use a search engine threads. I'd like to see a return of people with real questions again.

Well there can be a balance also. Like if something is on the front page, "double posting" doesn't make much sense; but if something is buried back 5 years of posts one probably wouldn't go through all of them sorta thing... On a search there can also be searches and searches. By that, I mean for instance look at some question on spec that might come up for a char class/build in WoW which one doesn't normally play.

Now when googling it (oh this can be fun sometimes :lol: ), one can many times get many opinions from various talking heads that don't always seem familiar with what they're talking about :rofl These can be the same sort who argue on and on in trade chat about "who the n00b is"... I once had someone ask me a question about ret palies (something I hadn't really played since 2006), so I searched online and got about 3 or 4 different opinions on what their hit cap is; as people kept saying "you're wrong, I'm right, yadda, yadda" lol I finally told the person without actually sitting down and getting some first hand experience again playing their class and build I couldn't even begin to say who they should believe :eek:

Beyond that, one could get posts where someone jumps all over someone else for a 3 year old post with a "you're wrong you nub ****, in TBC it's this way"; when what the person posted was perfectly correct in vanilla and at the time they posted it. It isn't their fault if Blizzard changed some stuff years after they posted, and someone else went to dig it up :eek: A lot of times when arguments can go that way, one almost has to sit down and play with whatever (be it a game, system, whatever) and see what pans out.

On the other hand, I have from time to time run into a real dozy of a situation with some piece of software; which in the end came down to "oh there's a bug here; really need the developers for this one". That was for instance a project in my final semester with the degree I got in computer networking. What I had was 2 Linux systems, one running a honey pot, the other various hacker and exploitation software meant to test the honey pot. (This was all in a closed network, so there really wasn't anything getting to the Internet at large; but yes I was using "that software" which shall remain unmentioned.)

In any case, when building up one of the boxes, one of the software required a Linux library (built off other libraries); which in the end ran into certain problems. And as far as I got Googling is "this is a known bug, but no software fix has yet been implemented". I was stumped and had to report for the project that's where things stood, and test what I could. This said, I got the idea for all this off what some are doing when they for instance wanted to protect computer systems housing DoD type research and development; and went to replicate some of that, essentially a honey net for purposes of catching would be intruders and gathering information on their attacks to a system setup to catch them with; and learn who they are, and how they are hacking. If I was working "out in the field" with people who do this sorta stuff for real; vs. as a college project, there might have been some who had an idea how to work around some of that, and hell how it could have been made better :lol:

Last edited:
I check the latest post on the main page almost everyday. If I knew of an answer to possibly be of help I would reply. I am not really an expert on any one thing, but I think I have gained a bit of knowledge in alot of areas over the years. As far as my Win7 experience so far I have yet to have any problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back