Has anyone installed Nero on Vista?

Here is the official response from Nero about the installer wanting to install DX 9.0C files.
Nero is only installing some dll's from DirectX 9, Nero needs those for the 3dMenus. Your DirectX 10 will not be affected by this installation.

I have completely removed Nero from my system now, not only did it break my .avi thumbnails and half break them (possibly with the help of the Divx 6.51 code installer) so that they only displayed teh first frame of video ie a black frame.

May need to do some clearing up as that "Ahead" stuff was everywhere, but I found this post by Barb that should undo the changes it made to the registry, so I uninstalled, made the registry changes and my problems where fixed!

http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/CommentView,guid,fd0a9a62-fabf-4dc2-974d-acbed9026753.aspx

You may need to use the cleanup wizard to purge all your current thumbnails or Vista won't bother rebuilding them, as it doesn't see the need.

Vista won't build the folder thumbnails for certain folders (you know how the folders display the last three-four images). Most folders display correctly, but a few won't display those thumbnails.

When you go into the folder it displays correctly.

I guess I should have taken a screenshot.
These were files on my desktop or in a folder E:\Movies\

Basically I was either getting no thumbnails even attempting to be generated or thumbnail generation with a completely black image.

Nero is starting to lose my interest. Too much bloat and too many problems. I emailed tech support two weeks ago about one of my problems and never received a response.

Hmm, I don't seem to have this problem at all.

Was this a custom install or typical?

If you let Nero do typical or update through the updater it will change all your file associations. I never use the updater and always choose custom install then uncheck all associations.

Well I installed this copy of Vista back at the start of November so maybe I should reformat and see what happens when working from scratch.

Back at that time nothing had been Vista tested or certified on the kind of scale it has been now so I have no idea what version of Nero I would have installed first that could have done this damage.

I have spent the last few days purposefully breaking and then fixing stuff in Vista, but I fear the last thing I did must have really hit it hard as it often removes my rights on my own machine and i am forced to reboot (pretty funny really!)

Ah well, will reformat tonight ;)

people need to wake up and realize that nero is crap. take it from someone who has done literally thousands of burns, hundreds of test burns, thousands of scans and has gone through many a dvd writer.

imgburn is far superior than nero, it does cd/dvd data, dvd video, creates iso images, verifies, etc, is completely free, works on vista (and every other windows os, even x64 and linux with wine), even does hd dvd and blu ray. the only thing it does not do is create music cds, for which you can use burrrn, also freeware and again far superior to nero's output.

Was thinking the same, but I customise my install quite heavily and honestly I am used to it.

I only really use Burning ROM and Nero Vision, the rest I don't think I even install.

ImgBurn you say? Vista compatible? I'm willing to try it out (also sick of Nero).

EP, even though that's all we want to install (that's all I install as well) you get all that added crap that you have no choice over (Nero Scout for instance).

Nope, not in the most recent versions, it has been leaving me alone for some reason.

Anyway, will check when I get it reinstalled tonight.

No...Nero goes crazy with Vista..luckily I did a search and found ImgBurn..working good, it's free and much better and easier than Nero.I agree with vertigo when he said that :"people need to wake up to realise that Nero is a crap" - being a hard darn user of Nero myself since Win 98, it a good thing to see something new in the market.

All I know is Nero works fine for me on Vista. Do a custom install and only install what you want. When the installer gets to the file associations part go to each tab and remove them all. NEVER update through the auto-updater as the file types screen will not come up during install so you can not stop Nero from taking over file associations. Like EP the only parts I install or use are burning rom and vision.

As for Scout, go into tools and launch scout then uncheck the box that says enable nero scout. Now go into services and find NMIndexingService then set the startup type to disabled.

Last edited:
And everytime you run Nero you get an error in the Event Viewer that it was unable to start the service. =)

I don't get any errors in event viewer about indexing service not running.

THey must've fixed that in the latest build. Forget everything I've said today.

Portions of Nero did work for me with RC1, I haven't tried it since.
ImgBurn seems to work fine.

As a side note, it seems some software vendors have been gaining at the expense of their larger colleagues by jumping on the Vista bandwagon early.

If you find new burning software that works trouble free for you, you are unlikely to switch back.

I applaud those companies that were proactive as opposed to expecting us to wait around until they feel like providing Vista compatible software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I had black thumbnails again so decided to sort it.

Ran this:
unregsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax"
Then used the disk clean up wizard to clear the current thumbnails and magically they started reappearing properly again.

I have refused to go to Nero 7 but installing nero 6 on vista completely broke all working divx...not just thumbnails but all sound was lost until I uninstalled it and ran cleaned out my registry.

I loathe 7 so probably won't upgrade to that anytime soon.

unregsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax"

unregsvr32 is not a valid command that I know of. :rolleyes:

I think you mean you ran regsvr32 with the /u switch which means it would unregister.

What file extensions of thumbnails are getting messed up?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back