Hardware issues

L

Lowerinfinity

Im having hdd problems. my hdd has been acting up lately, it reads most f the time but then it will have like a 20 second period when everything will pause and it cant read my hdd. I thought maybe it was getting hot so i bought a fan and heatsink for it and now it runs at 111-117 degrees F. My questions are:

1. Is that still too hot for it to run? What are the ideal temps?

2. Could this be a ps problem? I only have a 300w ps.

LI

The first thing to do is BACKUP any important data you have.
and second I would go to the Hard Drives manufactuers web site and download their diagnostic software and test your drive.

1. I don't do Fahrenheit, sorry. :) Keep it below 60C, preferrable below 50C, whatever that translates to.

2. No, very unlikely (99% sure). This sounds very much like a dying hdd. Does it make any funny sounds?

what kind of cpu and memory do you run ?

might not be just the hdd.. but that is a high temp for the hdd... around 50C if my math serves me right...

you can run diagnostics on the hdd to see if it IS dieing or not.. some mobo's come with SMART enabled via the bios to check the hdd for problems...

im running 768 ddr-sdram and an Athlon XP k-7 t-bird 1.2 cpu

and no it doesn't make any funny sounds, it just stalls
my hardrive is only about 2 years old though

I converted the Farenheight to celsius and it converts to 43-47 degrees celsius

you got power saving on by the sounds of it. it makes a funny background beep sound when it initialsies. go power options in cp and turn it off

its not as if you are gonna go over the 1million hours mttf

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back