Hardware drivers or lack there of

chastity

Staff member
Political Access
I installed the beta today and I'm generally impressed with the improvements they made compared to Vista but I've got three things that it didn't install drivers for and I can't seem to find drivers.

ATi Readon VE vid card, I just need to dig around more on ATi's site to find a driver for it but the major issue is onboard nic along with a couple of other things.

This is the board, and sadly I can't seem to be able to even download anything from it but tried the nforce software for vista from nvidia and got nowhere.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...EFTITLE=Y&fMTYPE=Socket 754&pMODEL_NAME=NF8-V

Any help would be good

Vista drivers worked for all my hardware on three systems.

On one system I had to set the driver installer to compatibility mode for Vista to get it to install.

Vista drivers should work for windows 7 ....

hah! people moaning that there isnt any drivers for an unreleased OS :p

Carpo: is it surprising to you? Not sure if you recall, but Vista had it's own dedicated drivers released for the beta's by companies like Creative and NVidia. Probably the only reason they haven't really done so yet is because the drivers for Vista work quite well on Windows 7 too.

drivers wont appear till rc at earliest - less chance of things being changed, think that's the issue they had with drivers before, so much changed between betas, wouldn't surprise me if drivers appear after Win7 comes out, Win7 will more than likely ship with drivers like SP1 did for vista for most recent hardware

I'm not too surprised that there aren't drivers for the beta release of Windows 7, I was more hoping somebody else had the same board and had installed Windows 7 but at least so far that doesn't appear to be the case.

It does see the Linksys wireless card so I might mess with that to see if it would work. Otherwise I guess I'll see if I can find another system to load Windows 7 on. I'll say at this point its better then Vista and yes I've used Vista

there will more than likely be reference drivers for most hardware, but nothing full featured like you would get with manufacture

NVIDIA drivers for Windows 7 Beta
NVIDIA drivers for the Windows 7 Beta release can be downloaded directly from Microsoft’s Windows Update service.

Instructions:

1. After a fresh installation of the Windows 7 Beta, click on the Start button.
  2. Click Windows Update (it will be pinned to the top of the start menu). You can also type “Windows Update” into the start menu Search to locate Windows Update.
  3. Within Windows Update, locate and install the NVIDIA driver update (it will either be an important update or an optional update depending on your system).
:D

Carpo at the moment Windows/Microsoft Update is not valid means to get the driver since that is one of the things that Windows 7 didn't have a driver for was the onboard nic.

Not sure if the wireless one will work but will try it later.

Carpo at the moment Windows/Microsoft Update is not valid means to get the driver since that is one of the things that Windows 7 didn't have a driver for was the onboard nic.

Not sure if the wireless one will work but will try it later.

Did you send feedback?

The purpose of the beta and the Send Feedback on every window is for things like this.
Microsoft needs to know what is missing and what not before 7 goes RTM.

If you don't send feedback then support for your hardware may not be in the RTM or available on WU.
If you do send feedback then the driver may be posted on WU in the near future and/or driver support may end up in the RTM.

My invidea driver installed itself with windows 7 - Everything was installed and working right out of the box. In fact, when I went to windows update; there was even a driver for my particular dell monitor available ... I don't think drivers will be an issue with windows 7 at all. As ones from vista will work with it ...

the ones with vista are bare-minimum for vista/windows 7 to function usually.

I meant to say driver for vista will work. Not the ones that came with vista.

Stupid system, nVidia chipset with a ATi video card.

I'll send feedback about it. Guess I need to find a Vista driver for the wireless card as well.

It would help if I knew who supplied nVidia the onboard nic, though I made a little progress with a nVidia ehternet driver but still doesn't talk to the LAN

It would help if I knew who supplied nVidia the onboard nic, though I made a little progress with a nVidia ehternet driver but still doesn't talk to the LAN

Maybe PCIDatabase can help.
Search by vendor or device ID which you can obtain from the properties page of the device.

Thanks for the links and tips. Will see how it goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back