Hardware-accelerated video converters?

Mizzle

Oh, now I know...!
Hey guys,

Looking for a hardware-accelerated video converter - any ideas?

What sort of files do you want to convert? I usually use Handbrake for most things, have you tried that? It's pretty awesome, though I don't know whether it's HW accelerated or not.

First your graphics card must have a HW mpeg converter in it. I think about all ATI have them now and probably a lot of the newer high end Nvidia card. You will have to check the specific model.

Next the conversion type you are doing has to match the HW in the video card. MPEG 4 at certain resolutions should be supported, probably not find AVI converison support, etc.

Finally the drivers that the video editing program uses must support HW acceleration of your particular card.

That means researching your specific HW, SW and plans. I'd look on a video editing specific forum. The card vendor sites tell you next to noting about capabilities.

Isn't Handbrake for DVDs only?

Well, it's a 8800M GTS 512, I'd say that's fairly new. I've posted the question on a video-editing forum, will have to await the reply :)

nvidia released a hardware convertor with its physx stuff. Link is on the frontpage :)

Yeah, Badaboom, right? Only problem is that it's not very good. It didn't recognize MP4 files, and the swf video file I had, was encoded without the sound. Not really impressed with it.

There is the RDX-160 USB hardware encoder which is the Windows equivalent of the Turbo.264 for Mac. They are apparently the same stuff inside, just one has Windows support and the other Mac support.

Review of RDX-160

Last edited:
That actually did look promising, but I then realized that there's hardly any difference if you've got a proper CPU :( Also, it's a bit expensive imo.

Thanks though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back