hardrive trouble please help

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
my companies main computer reads

1720 haredrive detect detects imminent failure failing attribute reads #05

back up the contents of your hardrive and run dps self test in f 10 setup

first, can I get the computer to boot from here, or should i go strait to f 10?

second, I've never run this test, please advise what to do from here.

thanx guys

If at all possible try to back up the data first. If you run the test first, it may help but it could also damage whatever is left of the data.

There is a chance it can still boot, which you may want to try so you can burn your data to disc or copy to another device.

Firstly, make sure you have a backup of the data. That error usually leads to bigger problems such as the drive failing all together.

Secondly, normally self tests are outside of the setup, such as the boot menu option (then again, it depends on the manufacturer of the computer/server).

It is obvious the drive is having problems and the self test is only going to reassure that. I would order a replacement ASAP.

If at all possible try to back up the data first. If you run the test first, it may help but it could also damage whatever is left of the data.

There is a chance it can still boot, which you may want to try so you can burn your data to disc or copy to another device.

how would I back up the info without booting cheif?

anyway, I anticipated this failure and all I need is backed
now, I've never run the test before...step by step before I go into f10 if you don't mind cheif, allso, how long does it take, does it need umput to complete or does it just run

Firstly, make sure you have a backup of the data. That error usually leads to bigger problems such as the drive failing all together.

Secondly, normally self tests are outside of the setup, such as the boot menu option (then again, it depends on the manufacturer of the computer/server).

It is obvious the drive is having problems and the self test is only going to reassure that. I would order a replacement ASAP.

it's got another hardrive in the box so I guess I'll install the os onto that...the programs are going to be a problem, they are expensive and I don't think they have copies

paper port, act, a few others

I anticipated the hardrive failure but norton ghost wouldn't isntall due to missing files, part of the hardrive failure.

shame, I got to it too late

Well, you could boot into something like Ghost or BartPE, which both boot from a CD not touching the file system. That, or power down and slave the drive to another machine.

ya, I could boot to a disc, true...gonna just run the test.

is there imput involved or does it just run on it's own, does it repar while it's at it, or is it just confirming the failure

You could always put in a new drive and get the OS installed then hook up the bad drive as a secondary drive and move the data.

However, if you don't have copies of the software then that becomes an issue.

ya, I could boot to a disc, true...gonna just run the test.

is there imput involved or does it just run on it's own, does it repar while it's at it, or is it just confirming the failure
Hard to answer without knowing the specific diagnostic utility, most are pretty much OK on their own after you get them started.

Usual result when a test is conducted under these circumstances. Good thing you are pro-active with backup :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back