harddrives? best way to partition ...?

• Thread starter WhereIsThis
  • Start date
W

WhereIsThis

whats the best way to partition an 80g hardrive? i've read a few ways, leaving a small partition for windows, and running other aplications of the other side, and also about creating a seperate partition to use for the page file?

anyone have any opinions, does it really make a difference?

hi and welcome on the forums :)

I have a 80gig hdd and i have 1 partition of 10 gig for xp and 70 gig for my programas and all my stuff

i would split it in 2 partitions. first partition for windows and installed programs. The other partition for Stored files, like music pictures whatever ya want. If windows messes up, you just format c:, and all your files on d: will still be there. ;)
I would split it right down the middle. two 40gb partitions.

RaWShadow has a good method. I only partition my hard drives into 1 partition for each OS, so I have 1 40gb hard drive for XP, another 20 GB hard drive split 50/50 between .net server and xp (yes, again but this one is faster)
If you have a 3 or even 2 gb hard drive that is equal (RPM) to your current one install it. Make one partition on it and put the page file on it. It will increase your preformance extremely! As for splitting 1 hard drive into 2 partitions just for a page file I'm not sure if it would speed up... but maybe. Everyone has their own way with partitioning their hard drive. Depends on you, do you want to have more than 1 drive letters, do you format a lot, etc.

Hope that helped.

re:

no, just the one hd.
I spose' it makes more sense to do it 70/10 :/
uhhh, yeh to the smaller hdd, but it wouldnt be the same rpm :(

one other question, what kind of temperature should you let a p4 2.4g processor go up to before telling it to shut down in the bios.

the pc is on a whole lot + rarly shut off, so dont want to loose it to quick, theres cooling on the memory, hdd, uhh and exhaust and a few fans, just wondering what temperature to expect, and where to draw the line on how high it should go.

edit: soz, hit new thread instead of reply.
in any case since I can't delete the thread it was suppose to go in is Here

yeh, I edited the post after, but looks like a mod deleted it, thanks.

carry on...

p4 2.4g processor you dont want it going more than 70. so set it too 65 in the bios

Personally i have a 7 gig partiton for windows then one for program files 20 - 40 gig then the rest is file storage works for me
then i back up the windows drive Using windows ASR stick it on another drive then im smokin:cool: and most likely the windows partition will have problem then just restore backup:cool:

yeh 65 in the bios dont let it go past 70c not like me i run mine at 80c and i know one day it will die on me but WTF ill get another :cool:

partition

My breakdown of a 120gb hdd:
c: 15 - OS and corresponding proggies and apps
d: 50 - Media stuff, i.e. movies, mp3, pix
e: 20 - Zip proggies, documents, etc
f: 30 - Image file for backup

Faster to defrag or reformat a smaller sized hard drive.

cheezzzz:blink:

This question is for those who have a partition for the OS and another for installed programs:

Why do you do this? If the OS goes under and you have to re-install it again, won't you have to re-install all your apps again anyway; unless maybe if you re-install over the existing OS. I personally have not had much luck doing it that way.

Anyway, just curious; not trying to flame anyone. :)

Oh, and to the previous question about where to put the swap file: If you must put the swap on another partition, I personally recommend setting the swap file another partition only if it is on a seperate drive. And preferably on the first partition where disk access is faster. If the swap file and OS are on the same physical drive, I don't think it matters where it is because the heads still have to move back and forth to access the swap file.

But that's just me.

your post is exactly correct.

the only reson to partition if you have the nt file system is for preferance and habit

there is no performance benefit to this idea of partitions, and an xp computer is much slower with partitions then without...partitions were concieved for fat, and the people that have gotten used to it have developed an irrational fetish for it

that said, I believe if anything, a small partition for the temporary internet files will probably help most users...if they use a large file, and don't clear the folder with every use.

also, there is a degree of extra safety, using your partitions as your backup...but this is contered by the totally false sense of security that has been the downfall of just about everyone that has counted on this method for backup

ALSO, the idea of putting the swap on another partition is concieved again for those that have two hard drives.

in my opiinion, the swap is better off for io efficiency on the same partition as the os, if there are partitions, and if there is only one disc.

but, I haven't benchmarked, and the microsft document is obscure in this regard, where it is easy to believe that microsoft recomends a diferrant partition then the os

it serves no purpose for a single disc, in my opinion, and I bellieve some people have missread a microsft document who think the microsoft recomendation includes a single hardrive, my reading is that the recomendation is only intended for two discs

Originally posted by dealer
...the only reson to partition if you have the nt file system is for preferance and habit...

And for those who like to use multiple OS's.

...partitions were concieved for fat, and the people that have gotten used to it have developed an irrational fetish for it...

I'll bet those people just like saying they have 17 drives on their PC. :D

...also, there is a degree of extra safety, using your partitions as your backup...but this is contered by the totally falsse sense of security that has been the downfall of just about everyone that has counted on this method for backup...

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to image your partition to the same physical drive if the disk itself goes bad!

I have my wife's PC set up to image to a partition on the same physical disk, but that's because she only has one drive and I just copy the image file to my PC through the network when Windows boots back up.

i split it up so that i dont have to image a 60gb hard drive and also if you backup regularly then your programs will still work i sometimes have 2 backups i dont use system restore its never helped me so why bother just fails all the time

and usually windows F*cks up cuz of something in the windows folder i just restore it from backup everything works favourites passwords settings its one of the biggest time savers i can think of

and replying to soublemas question ASR stands for Automated System Recovery
i use it to back up my windows installation with all the drivers and security fixes without having to reinstall them. kinda sweet:happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back