Harddrive stats does not update

Eproxus

Long gone and now back!
I'm about to format one of my harddrives (C:) and to back up the data I deleted unnecessary files on drive D: and tried to back up the data there. Now the problem is that to back up the data I need more free space (that's why I deleted the unnecessary files). When I have deleted the files and tried to move data from C: to D: Windows XP said no. That's because the harddrive had not updated the free space stats, i.e. there is more free space that's not visible.

My D: drive has 111 Gb of storage and windows says that it's only 2,37 Gb free, although I have deleted files so that the entire space taken by other files is only 96 Gb.

The unupdated harddrive stats makes Windows not allow my copy, even if I have enough space. Does anyone know how to update the harddrive stats?

I don't use the bin at all (all my files are deleted directly) and I've rebooted 5 times :)

Make a folder, right click on it/properties/general/advanced. Tick compress contents. Put your files in there. They might move if they are compressed. :confused:

Well, as I stated I have 2,37 Gb free that I can use, and the data that are to be backed up is 8,66 Gb so I doubt that compression will do the trick... and if I'm going to format is it wise to compress data (migrating from Windows XP to Windows 2000)?

I guess the disk stats will update eventually but I rather not wait :huh:

And thanks for the help!

Hibernation is of, system restore is on. Do you mean that they can eat up 13 Gb worth of space? I doubt it...

Solved it!

Turned out to be Norton Protected Files (saves deleted files for recovery). I used to think that it would keep track of the files but not reserving space for them... well, thanks for the help anyway!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back