Harddrive stats does not update

Long gone and now back!
I'm about to format one of my harddrives (C:) and to back up the data I deleted unnecessary files on drive D: and tried to back up the data there. Now the problem is that to back up the data I need more free space (that's why I deleted the unnecessary files). When I have deleted the files and tried to move data from C: to D: Windows XP said no. That's because the harddrive had not updated the free space stats, i.e. there is more free space that's not visible.

My D: drive has 111 Gb of storage and windows says that it's only 2,37 Gb free, although I have deleted files so that the entire space taken by other files is only 96 Gb.

The unupdated harddrive stats makes Windows not allow my copy, even if I have enough space. Does anyone know how to update the harddrive stats?

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Make a folder, right click on it/properties/general/advanced. Tick compress contents. Put your files in there. They might move if they are compressed. :confused:

Long gone and now back!
Well, as I stated I have 2,37 Gb free that I can use, and the data that are to be backed up is 8,66 Gb so I doubt that compression will do the trick... and if I'm going to format is it wise to compress data (migrating from Windows XP to Windows 2000)?

I guess the disk stats will update eventually but I rather not wait :huh:

And thanks for the help!

Long gone and now back!
Solved it!

Turned out to be Norton Protected Files (saves deleted files for recovery). I used to think that it would keep track of the files but not reserving space for them... well, thanks for the help anyway!

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Yes, but the uptime has been fabulous, X would be proud!
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Latest member