Hard Drives & RAID

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
RAID needs two identical hard drives or there abouts. Does it need any special type of hard drive or will any type do the job. I'm looking at using raid0....I think that's the one. :D

Also do any jumpers need setting or will XP pick them both up when formatting?

any 2 simular drives can be put into raid, you will need a hardware raid controller capable of booting the OS, and once you set the raid stripe up windows will pick it up as 1 drive, if not you need the drivers on a floppy (yes a old fasioned floppy) and hit F6 during setup when it asks if u have any other drivers

I don't have any pci slots left. :( Does the XP disk have the software raid on it? I,ve noticed that when you install xp it asks if you want to set up raid.

xp has software raid, you cant install xp onto software raid tho' as its a dynamic drive, in otherwords, xp has to be running to understand theres a software raid stripe there...

i have xp on my c drive, and a raid channel set up for storage.

basically u need a bootable hardware raid controller.

(whispers sweet sata nothings)
I am about to go and reformat a server that has a 10 drive array, tho I am prob gonna knock it down to 9 and have a hotswappable drive.

Getting rid of Windows2003, its a damn pain.. putting win200 back on it.

I don't envy you. At least we only have our cluster server to worry about and its connected sattelites :D

Electronic Punk said:
(whispers sweet sata nothings)
I am about to go and reformat a server that has a 10 drive array, tho I am prob gonna knock it down to 9 and have a hotswappable drive.

Getting rid of Windows2003, its a damn pain.. putting win200 back on it.

Windows 2003? Don’t remember that upgrade?

:)

Going to free up a pci slot so can someone recommend a cheap raid card just for raid0?

And while I'm at it.....a cheap external 56k modem. :D

Dave: well we got the Dell Poweredge and it had Windows 2003 Appliance server on it, so we decided to go with Windows 2003, but it seems the increased security and IIS6 have serious compatibility problems with some software I was asked to install, configure and deploy. After calling out the software company several times and getting nowhere, I have decided to revert to Windows 2000 server and install and configure the software myself.

There is no alternative sadly, as the software is not for the public, makes tech support a little more difficult.

I read today that the operating system cannot be loaded to an array. That is on both drives. So what happens from a clean install of raid0? Does XP only load to one drive? If I set the partition to 4gig for XP will it use (waste = blank) 4gig on the other drive.

If that is so will I have to double the size of the partition so it fits on one drive only? Instead of 4 gig make it 8gig.........4gig to each drive??????? :confused:

u read wrong mate, u just need the raid drivers ready on a floppy.

OK things are getting closer.

So I set up my two drives with raid0, install XP & boot up. Now I have a spare drive lying around. Can I set it as a slave & hook it up to the IDE channel on the board so as to use it for storage? Will it slow down the array?

wont slow anything down as its another drive, yes you can do that :)

while you're on the subject i have a question. I have a DFI AD70-SR with a built-in raid controller(supposedly i can run upto 8drives).

My question is can I boot to an IDE drive and have raid=0 as a slave. And if I can what if any performance issure will there be versus booting to a raid=o?

thx ahead :)

o0RaidR0o said:
while you're on the subject i have a question. I have a DFI AD70-SR with a built-in raid controller(supposedly i can run upto 8drives).

My question is can I boot to an IDE drive and have raid=0 as a slave. And if I can what if any performance issure will there be versus booting to a raid=o?

thx ahead :)

yes u can boot from ide, the performance will be around half against the raid stripe.

i boot from ide and use the raid array as storage. i dont mind the drop in speed as things like paging file use the raid array.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back