Hard Drive Suggestions?

C

~Cybele~

Well, it's happened, my hdd looks like it's about to go out on me...I got the message,

"WARNING: DELLS DISK MONITORING SYSTEM HAS DETECTED THAT DRIVE 0 ON THE PRIMARY EIDE CONTROLLER IS OPERATIONG OUTSIDE OF NORMAL SPECIFICATIONS. IT IS ADVISABLE TO IMMEDIATELY BACKUP YOUR DATA AND REPLACE YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE BY CALLING YOUR SUPPORT DESK OR DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION.

STRIKE F1 KEY TO CONTIUNUE, F2 TO RUN THE SETUP UTILITY."

Now, Dell will be sending someone to replace my hard drive, it urges me to purchase an additional hard drive, to store critical data on, in the (hopefully unlikely) case that this happens again.

So...does anyone have any suggestions as to a good brand/type of hdd for me to purchase?

The current one is a Maxtor 7200rpm ata/100. So I'm assuming I'd have to stick with ata/100? Or could I use an ata/133?
Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

It's most likely that you'll have only a ATA100 capable system. But generally, SeaGate and Maxtor are good companies when it comes to HDD.

7200 RPM, 40gig, ATA100

theres a good starting point for HDD. It should meet most of your daily needs =)

IBM GXP 120 ATA 100 DeskStar series is a good replacement HD. Is quicker than my Maxtor ATA 133 (see sig).

Take Dells software off the pc
..... DO NOT LET DELL REINSTALL WINDOWS.....

I have a dell pc, turned the warning systems off, if you need to contact dell they just ask you to run it off the cd.

dell made a complete cock up of my system when they installed Windows. i have to format when they had gone.

Be carefull with the second HDD i got a ibm deskstar 60gb and the pc would not accept it with dells hdd..

--Nick--

Ok I have a recommendation:
NOT IBM!

I'll explain. IBM has had alot of trouble with their Deskstar series lately. I've had to send back two myself*. I see you guys above recommend them, but I wouldn't trust and IBM disk for anything for a couple of years to come. Hopefully they've fixed it by now, but like I said, I won't trust it.

My recommendation is Western Digital Caviar or Seagate Barracuda IV series.

*I'm not alone. Trust me.

Yeah, I'll have to side with zedric on that one. My IBM quit after about a year. Fortunately, I didn't lose any imprtant data (backups are a wonderful thing).

I replaced the IBM with a Maxtor as my system drive and so far no problems. Even the quantum that came with the PC is still working fine after 4 years, and thats the one I didn't expect to last.

Okay, I just ordered a Maxtor 7200 ata/100 60 gig from Amazon. :)
It's basically the non OEM version of my 80 gig, so it shouldn't have any sort of problems accepting it.
Thanks for the advice!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back