Hard Drive Revving

• Thread starter ModestCargo
  • Start date
M

ModestCargo

About 3 or 4 days ago my hard drive (I think) has started to make a whirring/revving noise at startup. It starts slow, then gets faster and faster until it is like a motorbike maxed out, then the noise just stops and all is silent. Sometimes it takes longer to stop, and sometimes it stops right at the login screen. What could be causing this?

Maybe it is something else, but the noise seems to be a hard drive sort of noise and is coming from the general area of the hard drive... so what else could it be?

possably a fan, when they start to die they make thoes noises, but i would sugest that you do a scan disk on the hdd and there is the possability that the motor in the HDD is dieing and possably is a symtome of a HDD failer

My HD has been doing that for the last year, so if its dying its taking its time.:p

About 4 and a half years old...

God, a HDD failure? I hope not... My dad has thousands of MP3s and i daresay he would be pretty pissed if they got erased.

back up as fast as u can just incase...or ur gonna get onna them beatinz again lol

mine is an old Quantum fireball 20gig drive, over 5 years old now still works though but the revving is loud.

If your mobo supports it, I would enable SMART in BIOS to help monitor the drive.

I would get another drive though, a 40gig is pretty cheap these days and comes in handy for backups and such. At least you would still have your files if something happened to your current drive...

last time mine started doing that, i took the CD ROM out i forgot about. :D

yeah i had this problem with my old computer b4, kicking and banging it does the trick.

maybe u should check if all ur hardware are screw on nice and good, sometime vibrating makes those loud sounds.

ok!

Originally posted by GoNz0
last time mine started doing that, i took the CD ROM out i forgot about. :D

Hope your solution is not the way to fix this if the revving has been happening for a long time. You would think they would replace or change their CD once in a while. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back