Hard Drive Reading Constantly, how to stop???

shoulin

OSNN Addict
Hello, i havent posted in a loong time but here it goes...

Since i installed vista a while back i have had this annoying issue. The HDD just reads and reads at random times ....(i have a Raptor X so its loud as **** when it does it)

i have indexing disabled, i was wondering if there is anything else i could do or disable to get it to stop doing that?

Thanks in advance :)

System Info:
------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 4600 64bit x2 (939)
Some Asus Mobo (nforce 410/430 chipset)
Nvidia 7900GT 256mb
2gig DDR PC3200
150gig Raptor X 10,000rpm HDD
D-Link DWL-510G Wireless PCI card

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
Hey shoulin

It's been mentioned in passing in various threads before.. namely here and here

The name of the culprit would be superfetch which, if you read through the previous threads and will be mentioned here again, is a feature in Vista that treats system memory as a cache and will read data that Vista thinks is used often from the HD into memory so that it is ready to access via memory instead of reading from the slower HD.

It actually works fairly well and is fairly intelligent. But, it can be a nuisance. You can disable the service if you wish..

shoulin

OSNN Addict
ok thanks for the info, every post i went to said u could disable it but not how...

I just ran "services.msc" and disabled it from there...

... i bought a 10,000rpm drive with 2.9ms fetch time to cut down on loading, i didnt need this annoying vista feature hehe

thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qotipory