Hard Drive Problems

E

Epyon

There is something really wrong with my computer. Almost everytime I start my computer, windows says that it need to check the disk. I go along with it most of the time but everytime it does it, it finds quite a few problems. I have no idea whats causing them. I dont think my hard drive is going bad because Ive had that happen before and when it has happened, bad sectors start showing up constantly. My HDD is clean though. This is really annoying becuase its taking windows a hell of a lot longer to start up now. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this? Im really, really hoping that this is a windows problem and not a problem with my hard drive because I can not afford a new one.

Try Defrag, DiscScan, DiskCleanUp.
You could format it!
Take some off the startup items out.
A boot record for windows maybe ReadOnly or Currupt making it error every time.
Faster Processor.
New Hard Drive.
Dip it in some CocaCola.
Rub sheeps blood on it.

I did a defrag yesterday, i do a chkdsk almost everytime my computer starts up, and I do disk clean ups regularly. I have almost no startup items, and I really, really, really, really dont want to format my hard drive(have no way to back up). I dont think I would need a cpu faster than my 1.4ghz athlon either.

Ok heres something weird. I can run chkdsk without the /f parameter and it will find errors. I then run in with /f and when its running after I restart the computer, it finds no errors. I go back into windows and it finds errors again. Why the hell is this happening? Why would the chkdsk in windows find errors that the chkdsk at start up does not?

My suggestion is to reset your bios. If your motherboard supports auto detect then let it. This is the type of problem people encounter when they manually enter hard drive parameters in their bios. I would say no, that it's not an XP issue, i would concentrate on hardware issues.

With the amount of damage that has already taken place you may need to do a format and clean installation so i also suggest backing up all the stuff you can't afford to lose and continue your trouble shooting until you fix it.

If resetting bios, and auto dectect hard drive doesn't work, then make sure your drive's jumpers are configured correctly. If the disk is master to a Cdrom or Zip drive slave, then unplug the slave device and run it on it's own IDE channel. Run it that way for a while to see if it's an issue with that device.

Also check into Bios updates for your mainboard. As well as IDE device driver and possible mini-port driver solutions.

I let my bios detect all the settings for my hard drive. I really dont think its a bios issue because I have not changed anything in the bios since I updated it last month and the problem has only been happening since last week. I dont think its an issue with the jumpers or anything because my computer has been configured like this for quite some time(since september) with no problems. The drive is master on the first IDE channel with nothing else on it. I also have the most updated IDE miniport drivers available for my motherboard. Again, Im really reluctant to format because I have no real way to back anything up. If it helps, here is one of the log entries from chkdsk(they mostly look the same):

"Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 3 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3 unused security descriptors.

20000893 KB total disk space.
15874208 KB in 45489 files.
17092 KB in 2624 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
115897 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
3993696 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
5000223 total allocation units on disk.
998424 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
28 c0 00 00 fc bb 00 00 2e 26 01 00 00 00 00 00 (........&......
7e 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 e8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ~...............
a0 e9 ce 03 00 00 00 00 d0 d8 7f 1b 00 00 00 00 ................
30 c2 64 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0.d.............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 15 b0 29 00 00 00 00 ...........)....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 b1 b1 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..6.............
00 80 e2 c8 03 00 00 00 40 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........@.......

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts."

I'm hoping someone will jump in here with the answer for you. I'm not sure what these things relate to:

I'm only guessing here, but i think those have to do with directory structure, and not so much damaged files. Have you been getting any cross-links or lost clusters? If not then this could be a software issue with nothing to do with hardware. If you're not getting lost cluster and cross-link errors then I wouldn't worry so much about a reformat and clean install because XP is actually keeping itself healthy.

Can i get you to list some of your hardware specs.

One more question. What do you think it could be? Have you installed something recently that you can think of that may be responsible?

Oh, one more thing. Did you install the mini-port drivers because you were having IDE problems before? If you weren't having IDE problems w/o them, they "may" be causing them now. When did you install those?

This was the same problem Win 2k had until its first service pack. Only got this when it was an NTFS volume.

Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255008

The article is on Win 2000 but since its so similar to XP it might give you some insight.

JUST TWEAK IT

I'm wondering if you solved this problem. I have it too. If I run chkdsk from XP (c:drive,properities,tools,scan now) It doesn't show any problem when Norton's (2002 Pro) says that there is a security descriptor or index problem. When I ran the XP scan tool with the fix option (which I think is chkdsk /f) on the next IPL, it reports that Unused indexs being remove, no bad sectors! (I've also run the full scall for bad sectors and its ok) When I check the event viewer for SYSTEM I've noticed that an application popup event 26 information occurs. It seems that when this occurs that I get the problem. Application popup event 26 has to do something with ntdll.dll. Microsoft has nothing on this problem for XP, just for prior version 4 NT. If this problem still happens to you, do you have Norton Utilities installed? Other than this probem, my system work great.

Thanks,

xpPaul

Epyon: I have the same problem , i have had the same error (along with others) on two systems completely different so far....i am waiting for the next service pack...if that doesn't work I am moving back to ME, and send the win xp to MS for a full refund.

I didn't send for the service pack, but I have applied most of the fixes (WinXp, critical, drivers) that Microsoft offers from their website. When I run the scan tool from XP (c drive: right click:properities,tools,scan) without fix data being check, it tells me that the DISK IS Clean. If I run it with fix data then, when I reboot it runs the chkdsk /f successfully; when I look at the event viewer (control panel/administration/event viewer applications) at winlogon entry I find that it has removed unused indexes (1 or 2 indexes) and security descriptors. No bad sectors; every thing is ok. If I rerun this in a few days then it cleans up the unused sectors again.

My question is this normal?
Does Microsoft expect us to run scan/fix data periodically? I've also seen the http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q255008 document and I get the impression that this is normal.

Please let me know!

xpPaul

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back