Hard drive problems

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
hello every 1, well here i go again.

80gb maxtor as my main drive, with windows on it. now every time i run chkdsk i get this
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gonzo>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

57681350 KB total disk space.
24922060 KB in 43744 files.
15256 KB in 3162 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
134746 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
32609288 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14420337 total allocation units on disk.
8152322 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gonzo>

anyway, i ran chkdsk /r and /f

neither fix the problem. i ran powermax from the maxtor site to see if the drive was failing, it passed the 3 available tests on offer, including recertification and burn in scan's

i reboot and run chkdsk from windows and same again (as the above quote)

i have been into recovery console and ran fixboot & fixmbr, it didnt make the slightest bit of diffrence.

im trying to avoid a low level format and reinstall, as its only been 2 months since the last format.

it will be no biggie to low level the c drive, as i have 4 other drives to store my crap on, it would be nice to fix the problem though.

any help is welcome :)

(oh and it's via chipset, so i reinstalled the 4.49's as theres reported issues with the 4.50 release to the extent they took it off the site.)

*edit* i use diskeeper 8, after all these issues cropped up i ran the boot time defrag to defrag the MFT, i was hoping mabey it would move it to another sector to fix the issue, but it remains.

try running chkdsk /f from the recovery console. You shouldn't have to run fixmbr or fixboot unless you are having problem getting the drive to boot at all.

Not much help .......... but I have used a Chaintech mobo with a Via chipset that came up with very similar errors on a Western H .Drive ; what I would call "Phantom " errors.

So the system is always trying to put right errors that are not really there.
I suppose it could be a H .Drive Controller issue.

well i kinda ruled that out after rolling back to the 4.49's, no change as yet.

Originally posted by RogerPhillis
Not much help .......... but I have used a Chaintech mobo with a Via chipset that came up with very similar errors on a Western H .Drive ; what I would call "Phantom " errors.

So the system is always trying to put right errors that are not really there.
I suppose it could be a H .Drive Controller issue.

well just to let you know, it looked like the phantom error you were on about roger, so after a full format, and reinstall, i don't get the errors anymore, shame it needed a format, oh well, glad i have 4 backup drives :)

Do you have an APIC on you motherboard? This can cause these sorts of problems. If your board supports more than 16 interrupts via this chip you need to repair you XP installation even if you have the chip disabled as XP will detect it and then can’t understand why all your devices that use interrupts are sharing the same IRQ’s.

During this process you will receive many blue screens of death but miraculously just when you are about to give up your system will work.

:) :) :)

APIC (an IC) I think it stands for Asynchronous Peripheral Interface Controller. Check under SYstem Mangler under MB stuff.

new drive arrived this morning via advanced RMA, just got to swop the info to the new drive, and get the faulty unit returned within 30 days :)

nice 1 maxtor, didnt even have to fill in a RMA, a nice irish guy phoned me and sorted it all out :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back