Hard Drive of Doom?

NerdUprising

[ Method ]
I have recently acquired a rather annoying (on its lowest level) and frightening (when in über-attack mode) problem with my hard drive...

This particular computer is a built-by-compaq ( :( ) with a
40Gb hard drive
compaq motherboard
256Mb PC133 SDRAM
PIII @ 1Ghz
8x4x32 CD-RW
16x DVD-ROM

built back in 2000 (so she is an aging beauty)

...anyway, to the point, the hard drive has been having 'spasms' on and off, completely randomly, where it sounds gears are grinding together (sort of like whgrr whgrr whgrr ..... whgrr whgrr whgrr... etc) it used to be that when this happened, no problems arose, it just sounded like the gates of hell were being opened through my hard disk.... but recently, during particularly vicious bouts of this 'illness', the computer will freeze, and become unrecoverable without hardbooting (ouch).

So is this some insane progressive virus, driving my harddrive to its death, the first signs of the hard drive dying, or is it the motherboard itself is going nuts?

If I can manage to get a sound clip of it freaking out Ill come back and attatch it later

Sounds like the hard drive is on the way out. Better get those backups up to date.

i think there's a windows critical update for that...

This update resolves the "Gates of Hell" vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). Download now to prevent the gates of Hell from opening on your hard disk drive and to prevent Hell Spawn attacks.
:D

really, though... your harddrive is probably close to dying. get the data off it while you can.

Originally posted by taurus
i think there's a windows critical update for that...

This update resolves the "Gates of Hell" vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). Download now to prevent the gates of Hell from opening on your hard disk drive and to prevent Hell Spawn attacks.
G-doglaugh.gif

You had me going for a while. :D

I am laughing (compliments of taurus) yet Im so sad inside....

lol :D

well, thank you for the diagnosis... I have to go inform the parents now...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back