Hard Drive Not recognized

B

Bob S

A recent problem at bootup is that the bios does not recognize my "C" drive sometimes. I simply reboot (Control/Alt/Delete) and everything is fine. Very strange that in the last couple of days, sometimes I do not have a primary master.

I run 4 hard drives and the bios sees the other 3. The rest of my system is SCSI, by the way. It should not be a power problem, as my power supply is 420W. is it possible the hard drive is going bad? It is 30 gig, the "D" drive is 30 gig and the other two are 15 gig each

Thanks,

Bob S.

Obvious things are the IDE Cable may be duff, the power cable loose or the drive electronics failing.

My thought exactly, but I favor the drive electronics failing, since drive "D" is on the same ide. Any way to test the drive to see if it is going or just use it until it goes! I can do that because my drives are always backed-up. (Actually, I would not mind the drive going. I would buy a 60-80 gig and partition it and use the spare ide for a dvd writer.)

Does your PC just freeze up at any time. I dont mean Crash I mean just stop dead for no reason ?

I just had to replace my hard drive for almost the same problem.When booting my computer it would stop and give me a message to hit f1 to continue. then there would be times I would get a beep then a message the system couldn't boot system halted; it would take a couple of reboots to get the computer running. I never had any problems once I got windows running. Finally it got almost impossible to boot. I started trouble shooting by taking the hard drive out and replacing it with the hard drive I used to ghost too. To my surprise the computer booted up with no problems and has been running great ever since. What I don't understand is why it only acted up at boot time but never when windows was running.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back