Hard Drive noise

Eiji

OSNN Addict
Is it normal for a larger hard drive to make more sound than a small drive ie 80GB vs 200GB?

I have a 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ and a 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10+ and the 200GB is a little bit louder.

Noise when?

Spinning up - may be noisier due to larger platters
Idling - they should be about the same.
Seeking a file - may be noisier. Larger head driver for more coverage or higher density

Screeching, knocking or vibrations are a bad thing.

Higher capacity drive of the same generation and brand are usually a bit noisier and warmer since a low capacity drive has fewer platters than a high capacity drive. The capacity borders between the number of platters varies between brands, models and over time.

My HD makes a small hum, I like it, at least I know it's alive.

me too Lee!

anyways HD noise doesn't depend on the size, its the speed that matter. try slowing it down a little the noise should decrease.
also check if ur HD is properly screwd into the HD rack make sure the screws are tight, also its a good idea to use rubber o-rings between the screw and the hole.

"Slowing it down"?? How the heck would you do that? I'm pretty sure you can't do that. It's either 5400, 7200, 10000 or 15000 RPM depending on what disk you bought.

I saw size metioned, well my 120 gig makes less noise than my old 28 gig, I think the noise is confused from the sound of the fan(s).

Lee said:
I saw size metioned, well my 120 gig makes less noise than my old 28 gig
The key issue being "old" here. Older drives make more noise. That 28 gigger is from before they started using fluid bearings and what not.

LeeJend said:
Noise when?

Spinning up - may be noisier due to larger platters
Idling - they should be about the same.
Seeking a file - may be noisier. Larger head driver for more coverage or higher density

Screeching, knocking or vibrations are a bad thing.

The 200GB HD is noisier (by about 25%) on all three accounts you mentioned than the 80GB HD but there is no screeching etc.

Both HDs are very secure in the PC hence vibration free and I have analysed the sound using my USB 2 enclosure while the top case is removed (its a ICY BOX) while connected to my laptop so the sound isn't confused/mixed in with the fan noise of my PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back