Hard Drive Noise??

A

aussie

I've had my Maxtor 60Gb drive for roughly 4 months and all is well.... however lately i noticed while scanning for viruses etc or searching certain parts of my C: Drive the HD is making different noises to usual!!

Everydrive makes noise loading etc but the noises it makes in certain parts have changed... but then while loading other data it is normal??

Is this an indication my drive id dying??

thx for any help!!!

My maxtor 40gb drive started making funny noises before it went ga ga

Strangely enough windows xp reported a potential problem even before the SMART test in the bios did!

make sure you check these, as I have learnt not to ignore windows for a change!

in any case do all the standard hdd tests using maxtor software just to check, and email their site, if problems persist.

Something esle to keep an eye on is to make sure all the leads are plugged in correctly. A loose lead tried to kill my hard drive.

Aussie, do a full surface scan and see how many BAD SECTORS you get. Then do it again. If the amount of BAD SECTORS grows in number then it's dieing. The surface scan will take awhile so don't stop it mid way and make sure that you're not running any other progs (anti virus, weather prog, desk top calender, or any thing else...) in the background. Also check your Power Supply (PSU),to see if it's being taxed too much or if it's failing. Also air circulation, clean the fans on the PSU and check temps on or around the HD. Bad circulation and heat will kill it for sure.

Good Luck.

<-----------------
Yeee haaa! 1500 :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back