Hard drive light every 3 sec

N

NeoXP

:mad:I am having an issue with a computer I just purchased. It is a Dell Inspiron I8200 notebook. I have listed the specs bellow. Every 3 sec the hard drive light flashes. It was bothering me so much that I have just done a clean install and the problem persists. Is this a background service from xp pro? I have gone to MSCONFIG and disabled startup items and all non-ms services and the situation continues. This is probably the most knowledgable forum I have come across so I figured someone here could pin-point it!

Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ clean install of xp pro
Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
512 MB of PC2100 DDR
64 MB Gefore4 Go 440
40 Gig 5400 RPM HD
15" Enhanced UXGA
CD-RW/DVD Combo

Was wondering, Does it still do it on a fresh reboot, before you open any programs? Also did you format before reinstalling XP. OEM makers put alot of "junk" on computers. Also a virus detection program will contantly run up disk usage. Programs like Kaazaa have built in spyware that sends your surfing habits to them. Some isps also do this. If the problem still occurs after a format and clean install, maybe its a hardware monitor.
Good Luck

It sounds to me like it could be the "auto insert notification" or "autoplay" for your CD rom

try disabling it , you can do that either using tweakui(powertoys)
or through gpedit.msc , tweakui is probably simpler
good luck :)

Have you looked in event viewer to see if anything is listed in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back