Hard Drive installation

O

omegaman20

I am adding a new HD. But my computer does not pick it up for some reason. What could cause that?

check the jumper settings... example: master, slave, cable select.

Jumpers are on the back panel, and ussually have a sticker on top of the drive to illustrate what the settings are.

Use a win98 boot disk and from DOS, see if it goes into that drive. If it does detect it, then try to look on that drive's manufacturer's website. If it doesn't detect it in DOS, then check to see if you got power...long shot but it's happened to me, the end that shoulda been on the power supply wasn't..DOH!

try hooking the new one up on the secondary IDE as a master. that seems to be the only way mine was found

I am a computer tech

Your NEW harddrive will not get recognized by windows unless it is prepartitioned at a pro-windows state. What you need to do is to boot your computer either with a bootable Windows 98 CD or diskette OR windows XP cd and create a Primary partition (100%) in to the drive. If you boot with WinXP cd then you can use the userfriendly UI but if you boot with Win98 boot diskette or cd then you will have to use the FDISK utility that is included in both the Win98 boot diskette and the CD. Follow the procedure below:

1.BOOT THE COMPUTER WITH A DISKETTE OR CD (WIN98 OR WINXP)

2.(FOR WIN98 CD/DISKETTE) AT THE A:\ PROMT TYPE "FDISK"

3.WHEN YOU GET INTO THE FDISK UTILITY PRESS "5" TO SELECT THE DRIVE YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE CHANGES ON.

4. AFTER SELECTING THE PREFERED DRIVE USE OPTION "1" TO CREATE A PRIMARY DOS PARTITION ON THAT DRIVE.

5. WHEN PROMPTED SELECT "Y" FOR YES TO USE THE MAXIMUM AVAILABLE HARD DISK SPACE FOR THE PARTITION.

6. PRESS THE "ESC" KEY TO EXIT BACK INTO THE A:\ PROMT

7. RESTART THE SYSTEM AND BOOT INTO WINDOWS

8. NOW YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE HARD DRIVE AS A DRIVE LETTER ON "MY COMPUTER"

9. RIGHT CLICK ON IT AND CHOOSE FORMAT TO FORMAT THE DRIVE - THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO USE THE DRIVE NOW ON.

10. YOU ARE ALL SET.

11. TRY DRAGGING A FILE INTO THE DRIVE FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

THANK YOU

DIEOT

cant you use disk manager (run diskmgmt.msc) to do all the partitioning to save having to use floppy boots

and also let you go NTFS first up to prevent 512 byte sector/cluster size which is forced on conversion.

???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back