Hard drive installation:

C

cathoga

I am trying to install an additional hard drive, but when I try to boot I get a blue screen stating a problem has been found and the following technical info:

Stop: 0x0000007b (0xF894D640, 0Xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

System info:
ABIT KR7A-RAID
AMD 2000XP+
512 RAM
win XP home
Ide 1 has the primary western digital 30 Gb hard drive and cd-rom
Ide 2 has the new western digital 100 Gb hard drive

jumpers are set properly and everything registers in the bios. I've tried various combinations with the primary hard drive and cd-rom. I formatted and partitioned the new drive, and to make sure it worked I took the primary out and installed windows on the new drive...it worked fine, I then erased windows off the new drive and put the primary back.

Interestingly enough (I don't recommend this)... I can disconnect the new drive and boot winxp with the primary, when winxp is loaded I can reattach the ide cable to the new drive, do a add new hardware, then windows sees the new drive and everything works fine.

any suggestions?

suggestions

I don't have another XP system to try it in.
If I boot the long way I can get to the disk management utility, that's how I reformatted the drive and partitioned it, after checking to make sure the drive wasn't bad. when I rebooted after that I still got the blue stop screen.
Thanks

Sounds like a power supply problem. On initial post with all drives connected (and highest power demands) is when your problem is occuring. Try connecting your hard drives on their own power supply connectors. If that does'nt work you may need a beefier power supply.

Power Supply

I agree with SnookBooger; power supply is limp dick! Can't take the inertial serge.

power supply

My power supply is rated at 450 W. that should be more than enough. Just to make sure I disconnected everything I didn't need and tried it again. Still got the blue stop screen of death.
thanks

Trade it in (if you can) and see if it does the same thing....thats all i can say.

It's kinda like the Athlons. It may say +2100 but it ain't. Your power supply may say 450W but can it deliver it in a controlled fashion? It's kinda like RMS wattage. Many amps claim 2000W but only deliver well below that in an RMS measurement. Again, quality over quantity. Tip: Enermax or Antec.

Originally posted by SnookBooger
It's kinda like the Athlons. It may say +2100 but it ain't. Your power supply may say 450W but can it deliver it in a controlled fashion? It's kinda like RMS wattage. Many amps claim 2000W but only deliver well below that in an RMS measurement. Again, quality over quantity. Tip: Enermax or Antec.

Well theres one thing I agree with you on, CAR AMPS are very majorly overblown when it comes to (peak) wattage. 2500 watts my a$$!!!!

further investigation

I borrowed a friend's 350W power supply and connected it only to the hard drive. still got the same result. like I said before I don't believe it's a power problem....maybe some winxp software thing cause I changed my hardware configuration, or something like that. does anybody know where I can translate the stop error codes?

stop: 0x0000007b (0xf894d640, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

thanks

Originally posted by SnookBooger

I don't want to start another 'thread,' but you need to be corrected.

Athlons clock at the advertised speed, Athlon XP's compare higher than their rated clock speed. This is because AMD used more Floating Point Units in the Athlon XP's, and made the L2 cache smaller, basically, the information is 'more readily available' so the chip can perform faster.

Besides, we all know that an Athlon 1.2 would beat the hell out of a P4 1.2, simply because of Intel's screw-up with the Williamette core, and, an Athlon XP 2000+ would do the same to a P4 Northwood 2.0Ghz.

Also, this taken from M$' website:

Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
The Stop 0x7B message indicates that Windows XP Professional has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware typically causes stop 0x7B errors. Stop 0x7B errors could also indicate possible virus infection.

Interpreting the Message
This Stop message has four parameters:

The address of a Unicode string data structure representing the Advanced Reduced Instruction Set Computing (RISC) Computing (ARC) specification name of the device at which you attempted startup.
Pointer to ARC name string in memory.
This value is 0x00000000 (zero).
The first parameter typically contains two separate pieces of data. For example, if the parameter is 0x00800020, 0x0020 is the actual length of the Unicode string and 0x0080 is the maximum ARC name string length. The next parameter contains the address of the buffer. This address is in system space, so the high-order bit is set.

If the file system is unable to mount the boot device or simply does not recognize the data on the boot device as a file system structure, the following parameter definition applies:

The address of the device object that could not be mounted.
Error code value or 0x00000000 (zero).
The value of the first parameter determines whether the parameter is a pointer to an ARC name string (ARC names are a generic method of identifying devices within the ARC environment) or a device object, because a Unicode string never has an odd number of bytes, and a device object always has a Type code of 0003.

The second parameter is very important because it can indicate whether the 0x7B Stop message was caused by file system issues or problems with storage hardware and drivers. Values of 0xC000034 or 0xC000000E typically indicate:

Disks or storage controllers that are failing, defective, or improperly configured.
Storage-related drivers or programs (tape management software, for example) that are not fully compatible with Windows XP Professional.
Resolving the Problem
The following suggestions are specific to Stop 0x7B errors. For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

During I/O system initialization, the controller or driver for the startup device (typically the hard disk) might have failed to initialize the necessary hardware. File system initialization might have failed because of disk or controller failure, or because the file system did not recognize the data on the boot device.
Repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading to a new disk controller might cause the information in the Boot.ini file, or Boot Manager, to become outdated. If this Stop message occurs after installing new disks to your system, edit the Boot.ini file or adjust the Boot Manager parameters to allow the system to start. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is functioning and correctly configured. For more information about the Boot.ini file, see "Troubleshooting Startup" in this book.
Verify that the system firmware and disk controller BIOS settings are correct and that the storage device was properly installed. If you are unsure, consult your computer's documentation about restoring default firmware settings or configuring your system to auto-detect settings. If the error occurs during Windows XP Professional setup, the problem might be due to unsupported disk controller hardware. In some cases, drivers for new hardware are not in the Windows XP Professional Driver.cab library, and you need to provide additional drivers to complete the Windows XP Professional setup successfully. If this is the case, follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions when installing drivers. Periodically check for driver and firmware updates.
Hard disk corruption can also cause this Stop message. For more information about checking hard disk integrity, see the instructions provided in "Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" earlier in this appendix.
Problems that cause 0x7B errors might also cause Stop 0xED errors. For more information about 0xED Stop messages, see "Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" later in this appendix.

gosh i understood ALL of that catch! :p

krap I hit the stop button...grrrr sorry if double posted

......yeah don't ask......me not with it :confused: :confused: :confused:

By the way catch23 whats ur age? just wonderin

Uhmm...2 things lol

That was my post...

And I'm 15...catch is 17

I believe I will try a clean intstall of windows and see if that will .work. I did the internet activation... is there a way to find out what my activation key is?
Thanks

I dont know whether you have done this, but check to make sure the jumper on your main HDD is set to master with slave present and that the new HD is set to slave then see what happens.

The other option is to set both HDD's to master and put them on different IDE channels.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back