Hard Drive Help

A

alloy25

My kid's comp has 2 H/drives and i want to know if there is a program that will link the 2 together to work as one.......It has to be small as it's only small h/drives........

:D :) :cool: ;) :blink: :happy:

:eek:

Why not just keep them as seperate particions?

I dont know much about this, but I think RAID array in some of the newer motherboards can do this. I dont know of any software that can do this though

In Windows 2000 and XP you can install a drive into a folder on the first partition (C:). If you already have the second drive installed with data I'm not sure it's possible though.

Why not just keep them as seperate particions?

I dont know much about this, but I think RAID array in some of the newer motherboards can do this. I dont know of any software that can do this though

Wat program are u talking about....i'm not quite sure??????

All i want to do is join the two h/drives so they work as one ....like I had only one h/drive......PLZ HELP ME !!!!!!1:(

Have you installed the 2nd hard drive? If so & the bios is picking it up as a slave then boot into xp. Open windows explorer & see what is there. You should be able to see the new hard drive as a letter. Right click on it & choose 'format' if necessary. Now you have the main C drive & the other hard drive will allow you to put things onto it. Just make sure you use the correct file system to format.

Have you installed the 2nd hard drive? If so & the bios is picking it up as a slave then boot into xp. Open windows explorer & see what is there. You should be able to see the new hard drive as a letter. Right click on it & choose 'format' if necessary. Now you have the main C drive & the other hard drive will allow you to put things onto it. Just make sure you use the correct file system to format.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wen i go into "my comp" it has a c: and a d:...........c: is 3GB,4% free space and d:is 2GB, 94% free space..

I want to run them both as a combined hardrive so it only says - c: 5GB, 98% free space.

OH by the way..I dont want to loose info..lol...Is it possible????

Or should i save all the info i want to keep onto disk and reformat both drives and put o/s on one drive and put personal info on the other?????

Sorry if I seem un-knowligable(if thats a word) but im only new at this !!!!!!
Be Kind
:eek:

Promise Technology I believe makes a IDE controller card that would allow you to run the hard drives as a raid configuration. But, with c drive having only 4 % free you really need to move or delete some files so room will be available. The best thing to do is backup all the important files and then reinstall the operating system then reinstall the files. This will get rid of the clutter and make the computer more efficient. If you are going to install Win XP it is generally better to install it first on a clean hard drive.

Originally posted by iowaboy
Promise Technology I believe makes a IDE controller card that would allow you to run the hard drives as a raid configuration. But, with c drive having only 4 % free you really need to move or delete some files so room will be available. The best thing to do is backup all the important files and then reinstall the operating system then reinstall the files. This will get rid of the clutter and make the computer more efficient. If you are going to install Win XP it is generally better to install it first on a clean hard drive.

cool...thanks for the reply....I might do that then.....

Thanks to everyone for their reply's as well....I might not use them but I did learn something new and that's all that counts in the end....thank you !!!!!:happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back