Hard drive help...please read and help

A

aphexking58

Please help.

My friend has a 20 GB hard drive that has been partitioned into 2. The 'c' drive which has the operating system on needs to be reformatted and then I need to reinstall Windows on it. I need to do this because the computer has had loads of problems.

Please can someone talk me through on how to do this or give me a link that tells me what to do? I have never done this before so I am unsure what to do.

Please help.

Thank you

Please help me.

:(

I take it he has XP? In that case:

Put the XP CD in and reboot from it. Enter the installation. Choose not to repair. When it asks you for which partition to install on, choose the correct on (make sure!). Then select Format with NTFS (quick). After that it's installation as normal.

Can someone please help....

It has 'Windows 98'

Thank you

Here's Help

Make a Win98 boot disk OR - If your friends comp supports booting from the CDRom try that (enabled from the BIOS)... I believe that the Win98 CD was bootable
Boot into DOS with CDRom support using the boot disk (or CD) and take note of which drive letter was assigned to the CDRom
Figure out which drive has windows installed on it
Type "dir c:\ /w/ad" - This will list all directories on c: - See if it has a "Windows" and "Program Files" directory... If it does then it is most likely the drive you want to format. If not repeat until you find the right drive
Type "format c:\" w/o quotes (or whichever drive you figured out it was)
Type "e:\" after inserting the Win98 CD and after the format is done (or whichever drive letter was assigned to the CDRom)
Type setup
Follow the prompts for setting up Win98

OR

Disregard everything I just said and install XP IF your friend's computer meets the requirements and do what Zedric said

If it doesn't then disregard what I just said and do what I first said :D:D

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

cheers.

Richard

If I was to get a Windows xp disc and do it the way Zedric said. Would it write over windows 98 because I would not need that on the c drive.

If it didn't how would i get rod of 98

Please help

yes the xp will ask where you want to put it and then if you want to format or not and how(fat 32 or ntfs, go with ntfs) all as your loading from cd

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back