Hard drive help....please help

A

aphexking58

Hi,

My friend need some help and advice.

He has two hard drives in his computer. one is 30gb and the other 20gb.

It boots of the 30gb which has Windows 98 and Windows 2000 on.

The other hard drive has Windows 2000 on.

His computer will not boot up now, sometimes it loads up to as far as desktop and then crashes. Today he could not even get that far.

Does any one know what he can do, he does not want to lose data from hardrive, it has over 40gb of 'MP3's on.

When it does'nt boot, he has to turn the computer off from the wall because holding the power button doesn't turn it off.

Can any one please help, or have any ideas what to do. Please can some one talk me through what to do.

Merry Christmas All

Richard. :(

which os is he trying to boot to when it crashes?

make sure the heatsink on the cpu is secure and the fan still works. sounds like it could be an overheat issue.

He has an option of Windows 98, Windows 2000 and windows 2000. It will not boot up on any, when he tries booting up on Windows 2000, he recieves an error message, something about settings.

cheers

If you can tell us something about what the error message says we might be able to help you, until then, I've got no idea whats happening. :huh:

Have you tried to boot in "Safe Mode"???

If he thinks he'll loose his mp3s, he could take the drives out. Set them as slaves and put them in another Machine and copy everything over onto that Machine's HDD or back it up onto some other media.

Take the drives out, put them in as slave in another machine that works, access the drives through windows, and copy/burn mp3s onto CDs, or whatever suits you.

That is what I would do.

Damn Nick... me and then you. What are we, pete n' repete???:p :p

Yeah... Wasn't even close in time...
Thought you were Gonaads and Nick...
(I've heard of Gonaads and Strife...)

Aw nuts, I'm tired...:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back